Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running my vacuum for my brakes off the rear of my Carb. (Edelbrock 1405). However, I am running into a strange issue. The hole size is 5/16" so I bought brake line tubing that is pre- flared cut it to size and bent the way I need it. Here's the issue, I tighten down the fitting into the carb port, and although it is all the way in I can move the tube back and forth about 1/4-1/2". I hopoe that makes sense.

Is there a way to make the brake line snug in the carb. port?

Just seeing what you all think before I start cramming brass fittings in there before I adapt my line.

·
Administrator
18,440 Posts
The flare needs something to seat on, which the hole in the base of the carb doesn't have. You need an adapter.

·
Registered
599 Posts
it sounds like there is just a female threaded hole in there, is that right? with no flare inside? it sounds like you're trying to install the brake line into a hole where there's no way to tighten it up to anything because there isn't a flare inside.

JB

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Like poncho said you need a fitting to accept the flair fitting so it will tighten up.

Troy

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I will swing by lowes tomorrow a snag something.

If all else fails Troy your just a few cities away grab some adult beverages and some tools and head over. We can pull an Overhaulin' on the car and finish it in a weekend:D

·
2,643 Posts
An auto parts store would be more likely to have what you need.
And lowes might have it?

Yeh it's not very far, maybe 30 miles or so? A few adult beverages and we could probably make it a rear engine car while we were at it.:drunk:

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

·
Registered
199 Posts
RodFather said:
Thanks guys I will swing by lowes tomorrow a snag something.
That's your first problem. You should get auto parts at an auto parts store. Lowes will probably not have any type of fitting designed to accept a flare fitting.

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been buying my brass fittings at lowes because them seem to have the same stuff that the parts store is selling me.
I promise I'm not using kitchen hardware on the thing.

However, Samuel Adams may suggest some interesting ideas to me, and I may have the sink in the car.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,814 Posts
Nothing wrong with kitchen hardware!

I ran an circle track engine that kept throwing belts with two pieces of chrome kitchen sink drian tubes as rad hoses to keep the belt from cutting a hose. Worked for a two years.

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a fitting that fits in the rear of the carb good. The fitting has a barb connection off the rear. Can I run 3/8 hose from the fitting to the brake booster?

The reason I ask this is because the original setup was a hard line from the rear of the q-jet to the little filter then it turned into 3/8 hose and went into the booster. Would this have an affect on the braking changing it from hard line to rubber?
Thanks

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I used a rubber line on my Edelbrock.I installed a 90 in the rear of the carb,and slipped the line over the end into the check valve.I am not sure the size of the O.D but the I.D is 1/2.

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I used 3/8 fuel line which was the same size of the hard line that came off the q-jet.

·
2,643 Posts
I have seen hose used and it worked ok, I have seen it collapse
too, especially after it ages.

Troy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts