Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a pair of 20 year old 1404 gunked up carbs and removed the throttle shafts as part of the rebuild. Called Edelbrock about getting new 'star' type throttle plate screws to replace the slotted versions but they don't sell them. The tech said if I need new throttle shafts or parts (which I don't) then I need a new carb as they aren't replaceable/rebuildable.

Anyone know where I can get new screws? If I have to reuse the old throttle plate screws, and not have them fall into the motor, do you think red locktite will do the job or any other suggestions.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I'm rebuilding a pair of 20 year old 1404 gunked up carbs and removed the throttle shafts as part of the rebuild. Called Edelbrock about getting new 'star' type throttle plate screws to replace the slotted versions but they don't sell them. The tech said if I need new throttle shafts or parts (which I don't) then I need a new carb as they aren't replaceable/rebuildable.

Anyone know where I can get new screws? If I have to reuse the old throttle plate screws, and not have them fall into the motor, do you think red locktite will do the job or any other suggestions.
I'd use a good quality button head that uses an allen wrench. McMaster-Carr is one of many places you might use. You're going to need 6-32 screws, check for what length you need- you want the end to protrude past the shaft so it can be retained.

The factory stakes the screws to retain them, and I do the same thing along w/using blue locktite- I leave nothing to chance when it comes to something that could destroy an engine!

More on that can be seen here. If they are stripped, you can take them to the next size up if you're careful.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.