Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a simple question which I have not found an answer to in searching this forum. Maybe I'm not using the right key words but anyhow...

If you lower the front end on a '60's gm a-body (1" lowering springs), How would you need to compensate on the upper control arm? More shims or less? It seems to me that I would need to add more shims or use an offset shaft to bring the top of the wheel in but I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Mike C.
'66 Skylark conv.

·
Registered
654 Posts
MSC66,

Dropping the front an inch shouldn't make too much of a difference. Without looking at the suspension set-up I would think dropping an inch with the springs would serve to pull the upper control arm in a a bit. If it was mine I'd install the springs then see if I could get caster and camber in without using the upper off set shaft.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

The thing is that the car already had the offset shafts on it. I'm thinking someone may have installed them to compensate for the completely worn out springs (they could've just replaced the springs???).

As shot as the springs were, the car may actually sit higher with the new 1" drop springs and 15" wheels and tires. They had five screw in spacers in each side and I still couldn't get a floor jack under the car!

Anyhow, thanks for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts