Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fordman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 F150 and am considering an EFI 460 swap as I have two of them laying around and the wiring harnesses brain boxes etc... from 88 and 89 models. What I know so far is these engines are farily low powered due to lower compression. I just need some good information if there is a way to keep the EFI and upgrade the pistons and camshaft set up maybe to attain higher gains. So far I have read theses are rated less than 300hp and I was wanting more like 350 to 400ish. Depending if it's attainable reasonably with the EFI factory set up. Information would be greatly appreciated so I can decide what route is best to go.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
You can use different pistons and a RV type camshaft to improve performance. Then find a program, or find a chip burner, for the control unit that will compliment the change.

·
Registered
393 Posts
They are speed density and the factory tune won't take a lot of cam. I believe Ford made a MAF system for 1 year and only for CA trucks equipped with the 460. Obviously they are rare. IIRC R.M. Competition in Michigan has developed a cam that works with the factory tune. He can also tell you what other changes can be made to compliment the cam.

·
Fordman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew they wouldn't take much of a cam because I got into that with a 5.0 I did a couple years ago. Ended up just using a stock cam in it. I was needing info on the computer end to know if these early ones were reprogrammable or mod able... I have rebuilt several engines just nothing electronic controlled. Its got a 352 in it currently I rebuilt last winter. Any advice or input on this challenge I am considering is well appreciated.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Why cripple yourself with the stock computer? If youre going to go through the hassle of swappingto efi at least make it worth your while.

·
Fordman
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats why I figured I would throw it out there to some others with more knowledge to get some ideas on what would be good. Or at least where to start looking maybe. I appreciate the help. The computer end is all I am worried about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts