Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in learning how to tune I am a master tech and it seems somewhat of a mystery. I looked into efi university but it seems a little redundant of efi theory that i already know. Any input will go along way

thanks

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
richardson110 said:
I am interested in learning how to tune I am a master tech and it seems somewhat of a mystery. I looked into efi university but it seems a little redundant of efi theory that i already know. Any input will go along way

thanks
There isn't much you can do to increase power performance, in stock setups, without turning on the check engine light.

You can change the rear gear ratio, or put in a 5 speed trans where a 4 speed came out, or Basically throw a bunch of parts at it.

On OBD1 systems, it is cheapest to just install a performance PROM in the computer. The PROM is what controls the fuel injection pulse width, and the ignition timing curve, etc... These run between $140.00-$165.00.

On OBD2 systems it is cheapest to purchase a performance computer programmer. These are vehicle specific though, once you plug it into a vehicle system, it pulls the factory's setting out, and retains them, you can then pick between, from usually 4 different performance level options, or re-install the factory settings. These controllers cannot be used on any other vehicle. They are priced right around $400.00's.

There are some computer re-programing software systems out there, but you really need a lot of experience working with them, but IIRC, they do not retain the factory settings. This can be a big problem come smog test time.

That's my 2 cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.