Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have read some posts about bypassing the EGR on a 350. I have a 74 chevelle with a 350. There aren't any emissions where I am and I am considering getting rid of the EGR.

I will be getting a new carb and intake anyways on the car, so I figured that I would bypass the EGR.

What are the benefits/drawbacks of getting rid of the EGR?

What do I need to do to bypass it? Do i just need a new intake and carb?? What about the heads?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, should I keep the EGR???
I heard that if i remove it (intake and carb) that I can gain more HP.

How much of a difference will i notice with and without an EGR?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
EGR has little if any impact on performance as it`s not active at WOT when there is no vacuum. it lowers emissions and helps to cool the cylinders. All it does is dilute the incoming mixture with exhaust gas, and exhaust gas can`t be burned twice. Swapping to a intake without it isn`t any problem, and since you`re going with a different carb you likely won`t have any problems, if you were staying with the stock carb then you`d have to slightly richen the mixture to keep it from pinging or having part throttle hiccups. If the carb you have is a Q-jet and it`s still in good operating condition I would keep it. Some cams have what we call "built in egr" in the overlap period they bleed off some exhaust gas. So no you don`t have to keep the egr. but if you wanted to it wouldn`t hurt either way. If you want more performance out of your engine, and if it has considerable miles on it or has never been built before, other than the intake change I`d recommend a new timing chain and possibly a small camshaft like the Edelbrock performer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doublevision,

I am planning on going with the Edelbrock performer kit that comes with the carb, intake and camshaft. I will also be replacing the timing chain.

Is there anything else that I can/should do to boost the car's power?

I will also be converting to HEI from points.

Thanks,
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.