Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swaped the V6 for a V8. It has an 8 bolt rear end.What other GM cars use the same rear end in a 10 bolt?

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
what year el camino ?

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I've never seen or heard of an 8-bolt rear ?:confused: :confused:
Got any pictures?

There WAS a 9-bolt, but I only heard of it being used in GM's F-body line.

The V-6 was only installed as an option in the 1978 through 1987 ElCamino's.
The ElCamino is a "G" body, sharing it's stock 10-bolt 7.5 inch ring gear equipped axle with the following.
(assuming you are dealing with a vehicle manufactured between 1978 and 1987)

Chevrolet
Monte Carlo, Malibu, ElCamino (and GMC Sprint)

Buick
Century, Regal (RWD only), GNX and Grand National (highly prized for having the 8.5 inch 10-bolt axle)

Oldsmobile
Cutlass, 442, Hurst

Pontiac
Lemans, Bonneville (the smaller version, the "B" body bigger version WON'T fit)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EL Camino

Thank YOU. It's a '79. I forgot to tell you that part. It now has a SB400 and seems to have some long legs. It might be a 9 bolt my glasses are a little scrathed up.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
The "Austrailian" 9-bolt axle was manufactured by Borg Warner if I remember right and only came in the Trans-Am, Firebird, and Camaro.

There aren't many choices for aftermarket parts available for it, and it isn't exactly the axle of choice for strength, the ring gear diameter measures 7.75 inches.

If it IS the 9-bolt, someone made quite a few modifications to allow it to mount in your G-body ElCamino.

If it is the stock 7.5 inch 10-bolt that originally came in your vehicle from the factory, you have a 99 percent chance of having less than 3.08 to 1 gear ratio, my 81 Malibu had 2.29 gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts