Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I took my 62 Nova out (383ci) and had no issue. Started right up. Today, I went to start it like I normally do, and nothing. Not a tick...nothing. Battery is charged, etc...I turn the ignition and nothing...not even clicks. I thought it might be one of 4 things: A Fuse, Starter Relay/Solenoid, The ignition switch itself or even the Starter. I replaced the starter about 1.5 years ago, so pretty sure its not the starter itself, and like I said...was perfect just yesterday. No strain or weird sounds. Its real symptomatic of a ignition switch, or solenoid I guess.

My question is: How can I test for any of these? Is there a simple way to check the solenoid? The ignition core? Is there an Ignition fuse I am not aware of? (I dont see it readily on my driver's side under dash fuse block

Any advice is well appreciated

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Well.
Under the car with the parking brake engauged and the thing in netural with wheels blocked you can jump the positive to solenoid terminals using a screwdriver.

If this does not make the starter work you could have a "flat spot" in the starter. Thing will work great until you fall in that one spot then nothing.
Sometimes just dropping the thing to jump the terminals easier or tapping the side will move it from the flat spot so best to check without moving it if you can.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.
Under the car with the parking brake engauged and the thing in netural with wheels blocked you can jump the positive to solenoid terminals using a screwdriver.

If this does not make the starter work you could have a "flat spot" in the starter. Thing will work great until you fall in that one spot then nothing.
Sometimes just dropping the thing to jump the terminals easier or tapping the side will move it from the flat spot so best to check without moving it if you can.
So I tapped the starter and solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver and it started so I'm guessing I need a new one

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Yea, thats a flat spot. 95% it is a bad starter.

But to be 100% you need to jump the terminals.

By jumping the batt terminal and the solenoid terminal your bypassing the key and wiring.

Usually it takes me around 8 times (for 0-1 second each time) to find the flat spot again. Then you tap the side a few times then jump the terminals and it turns.

Then you 100% have a flatspot and the thing needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Probably the solenoid. Tapping on it broke it lose. Replace the solenoid or take the old one apart and flip over the washer. :)
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.