Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone I ask has an opinion on using a elec fuel pump vs mech. pump. What are to pro's & con's as I just bought a Holley Red I was going to install. I was trying to get a better routing for my A/C line and heater lines, removing the mech pump seem to be the answer. but I get mixed opinions on the elec pump.

SBC 350, 58cc heads, 750 DP, small cam, old Z28 winters intake.headers...
Regards.

Steve

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
I'm an audiophile, and I can always hear electronic noise with electrics, but I'm picky. I've been known to spend $950 on a pair of tweeters and nothing pisses me off more than an electric pump whining in my face.

If you need one or one offers a significant improvment, then do it, but otherwise if your needs can be met with a mechanical, I much prefer the simple reliable design they offer.

There is a company that makes replacement piston-style fuel pumps that make up to 70 psi and flow crazy numbers. They are fully EFI compatible, but they bolt on as a replacement in the same spot as the factory mechanical pump.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
In Tank pumps are quieter than in line pumps.

I used a ford Mustang pump in a Bronco tank installed in the
59 Elky.
In case that pump fails----there is an inline mounted but not hooked to the fuel line mounted on a crossmember in front of the tank. That pump will vibrate the whole car, but will work in a pinch.

Also using a bypass regulator--- I ran a return in case I ever decide to go to Fuel Injection

The in tank pump does seem to make more noise when the tank gets down to 1/4 tank----other than that---only hear it before I start the car. Can't hear it with the car running.

Bryan

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've always run electric in-lines. I've had far too many go out in tanks and had to replace them, :mad: and had two mechanical pumps break a diaphram and let gas into the crankcase, which is of course very bad. I just wrap some strips of inner-tubing between the pump and bracket, quiets it right down. :thumbup:

·
6,313 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
In Tank pumps are quieter than in line pumps.

The in tank pump does seem to make more noise when the tank gets down to 1/4 tank----other than that---only hear it before I start the car. Can't hear it with the car running.

Bryan
I'm not talking about hearing the pump, I'm talking about the radio noise. They generate crazy amounts of measurable RF. I had to go to an 8v pre-out on my head unit to be able to compensate for the noise that my stock in-tank pump creates, and I can STILL hear the whine from the pump.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Curtis, I was not completely hearing what you were saying :)
The only noise I get when the car is running is the damned Alternator.
I'm not as fussy about acoustics in the car as I am in the house.
I am a windows down driver--so there is a lot of other noise to deal with,
and I also do not turn the volume up loud enough for other drivers to hear at a light.

I just thought the fact of mechanical noise is there with the electric.
Thought he might like to know about it.

Bryan

·
I am the Antirice
270 Posts
curtis73 said:
I'm not talking about hearing the pump, I'm talking about the radio noise. They generate crazy amounts of measurable RF. I had to go to an 8v pre-out on my head unit to be able to compensate for the noise that my stock in-tank pump creates, and I can STILL hear the whine from the pump.
I hear you! Exactly! I thought I may of been the only audiophile here, and that is the main reason I also do not want anything to do with an electric pump. I used to have one that messed with an Alpine 7969 that I had, and that just grated at my spine. It really sucks when you have several thousand in audio equipment trying to achieve top notch SQ, and that happens. With my current project, I'm going to be doing a lot of custom relocation of the face on the HU to the visor to make sure my interior looks completely stock, not focusing too much on real high end SQ with this car, since the 540 and 3.5" exhaust will drown most everything else out. But, it is still a concern, and I am actually going to run the pump you're talking about. You can get it from www.racepumps.com and they are suppose to be of top notch quality. I've spoke with a few guys from the chevelles.com forum and they seem to love it! You can also purchase the same pump through quickfuel (they just buy them from reacepumps.com and put their name on it).

·
6,313 Posts
tinman386 said:
If i remember right the fix would be to install a capacitor to the power of the fuel pump. It is a good way to filter that kind of stuff.
True, but that only eliminates the noise up to the capacitor. The motor itself still whines a good bit.

Anyway, beside the point. I say, only use the electric if you NEED it. Mechanical pumps are adequate, quiet, require no electric, reliable, and cheap. Electrical is fine, but no reason to add complexity unless you need it.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Posted by Gokussj5okazu:
"I just wrap some strips of inner-tubing between the pump and bracket, quiets it right down."

I've always mounted them to the car with those muffler mounting black rubber thingies that look like they were cut from a tire, about 1/2" thick and about 1" wide. They have holes drilled in them, so hanging the pump is a pretty simple matter. I also use short pieces of rubber hose at the inlet and outlet of the pump to further isolate the pump noise from the car.

As far as electronic noise in the system, if I have an AM radio with one speaker, I'm good to go. :mwink:

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
My holley blue pump came with a pad the same size as the bracket. Its about 1/16" thick. I don't get any vibrations just the loud pump running. I have it right on the firewall. STealth wasn't what I had in mind anyway though. Noisy pete jacksons and 2 12" 900 cfm electric fans. Fans make the most noise. I haven't bothered to re hook up th radio yet. I need my exhaust done before that. Open headers seems to drown everything else out. :evil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.