Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone though some of the old post on this, but still am confused. I have a new edelbrock carb w/ electric choke. In the morning when the engines still cold I still pump my gas because thats the only way it will start. When i turn the key(not starting it), the choke light comes on and then turns off when i start it. Very confused about having electric choke and still having to pump the gas. The pos and neg wires are hooked up to the choke and the pos is running through the firewall. My ground might not be right, its on a bracket on the intake. Any replies might help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You are just priming the engine, and setting the fast idle speed when you pump it before you start it in the morning. The "electric" part of the choke just pushes the butterfly open for you as the coil expands from heat generated from the voltage going though it. Hopefully, you have a fuse inline on a switched voltage source.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Electric Choke

Doc here:pimp:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

The Electric Choke is (if done proper) adjusted cold closed, (or at the best location for that engine cold start from 3/4 to full butterfly).

As the Bi metallic Strip inside the choke heats up from the 12 volt heater, 1 to 3 minutes time, It OPENS the choke butterfly to full open. This can be one slow movement or Via Throttle detents, Depending on the Car/Carb.

The Relay is operated off the alternator Sense line, and fires AFTER the engine is running. (Alternator output only)

(This is so you can't pre heat the choke just sitting with the key on, opening the choke on a dead cold engine.)

The Power From the alternator is the control circuit
(fires the relay coil only)

The contacts on the relay switch to a fused constant 12 volt source, and the choke heater.

This relay may also have Charge Lamp on it too..(If the relay isn't firing the Alternator has no output)

What you may have happening, Is one of about 3 things...

First the Choke may start out Cold open because the DETENTS are holding it open from the last warm position from when you shut it off, you may have to throttle it once to get it to slip closed (normal for some)

Second, Your Fuel pump / Fuel delivery system is "Leaking Down" after you shut it down for a long period of time and fuel is running back into the tank.requiring cranking to get fuel back up to the carb once again.

Third The Carb (especially on a Qjet) may be dripping bowl fuel from the soft plugs on the bottom of the fuel bowls into the manifold over time sitting, causing an empty Fuel bowl on cold start up requiring cranking to get fuel back up to the carb on cold start.

Either of the latter will require Cranking no matter what you do, No matter how much choke you have, won't help if it has no fuel to suck...

Do a pressure test/Volume Test on the pump and watch to see if it dosen't drop (leak down) after pressure is built up. If so, replace the pump, or consider some kind of Fuel check valve.

If the carb is leaking down, It is a sign that it's time to rebuild it. Linkages, fuel bowls, etc can leak and empty the bowl over time and require the bowl to fill before the engine will start.

You may also want to look at the status of your tune up...It may be time for a good tune...even if it runs good warm...(weak spark, fouled Plugs, bad wires etc..)

Hope it helps!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plugs, wires, and distributer are brand new and seem to work good after the vehicle is warmed up. When i start it in the morning, i keep a little pressure on the gas to keep it running. After about 10 seconds it will run by its-self (it will run a little ruff til temp goes up). Tnx for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts