Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question here for you guys and dolls , planning on putting in a elecric fan kit on my 66 Chevelle as a pusher. Now I have a 350 cu in small block and the fan kit I want buy is rated at 2200 cfm + , do you think this would be sufficent for this application. Also not being electrically innovative I would like to put in a swtch so that I can turn it on and off manually rather than go with the sensor kit. Can anyone tell me how you can make that happen. I know its a 2 wire hook-up , I beleive one wire goes to battery and other to ground ( am I right ? ) So any help would be appreciated......Thank you

John

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fan switch

Did you know that you can run both? Get a high amp relay and connect terminal 30 to fused battery power. Run Terminal 87 to the fans. Connect 12v to terminal #85 and connect your sensor to terminal #86. If you would like a switch then connect a grounding switch to terminal #86 as well. There ya go!
If you like those switches that light up, Then connect the fans as above but connect terminal #85 to ground and connect your 12v output switch to terminal #86.
The idea here is to connect a relay to the fans to take the load off of the switch. I always use one relay per fan. This takes a little load off of the relay and it also gives you a backup feature. If one of the fans happens to fail. The other relay will work the other fan without stopping the whole system. Only hitch here is that I use a seperate fuse for each relay. So in your case I would use the above diagram I listed for each fan motor.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fan switch

cuztomcarbuilder said:
Did you know that you can run both? Get a high amp relay and connect terminal 30 to fused battery power. Run Terminal 87 to the fans. Connect 12v to terminal #85 and connect your sensor to terminal #86. If you would like a switch then connect a grounding switch to terminal #86 as well. There ya go!
If you like those switches that light up, Then connect the fans as above but connect terminal #85 to ground and connect your 12v output switch to terminal #86.
The idea here is to connect a relay to the fans to take the load off of the switch. I always use one relay per fan. This takes a little load off of the relay and it also gives you a backup feature. If one of the fans happens to fail. The other relay will work the other fan without stopping the whole system. Only hitch here is that I use a seperate fuse for each relay. So in your case I would use the above diagram I listed for each fan motor.
Hope this helps!
This all sounds a bit confusing with all the number terminals . Iam only running the electric fan as a backup for my existing fan I have already. I was planning to mount it on the front of the radiator as a pusher. The fan Iam using is a Flex a Lite fan with a shroud. I just want some added cooling........but I will take a diagram if you have it

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.