Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 Blazer (4.3 motor) that started acting up the other day on the way to town, It was acting up just sputtering at first, then dieing but running again, then running but dieing when put in gear, now it don't start at all. I was hoping it was just the filter but when I switched that nothing helped. What would be the most likely cause? Fuel pump? Module? I hate to buy a $300.00 fuel pump just to find it don't help. Also, has anyone ever used one of the cheaper (aftermarket) electric fuel pumps? I've heard some bad stories about them but not sure how dependable they are. They are half the price but if they only last 3 months whats the use. Any help is appreciated.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
STATUTORY GRAPE said:
I have a '96 Blazer (4.3 motor) that started acting up the other day on the way to town, It was acting up just sputtering at first, then dieing but running again, then running but dieing when put in gear, now it don't start at all. I was hoping it was just the filter but when I switched that nothing helped. What would be the most likely cause? Fuel pump? Module? I hate to buy a $300.00 fuel pump just to find it don't help. Also, has anyone ever used one of the cheaper (aftermarket) electric fuel pumps? I've heard some bad stories about them but not sure how dependable they are. They are half the price but if they only last 3 months whats the use. Any help is appreciated.
Get a gauge and check the fuel pressure.
Since in doesnt start now, did you check for spark. Ingition modules can do some weird stuff.
fuel pressure should be 60-66 koeo 50-63 at idle.
Less that 57 lbs while cranking can cause starting issues

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,098 Posts
Just a thought, pull out the dip stick and see if it has a fuel smell to it. The 4.3's of that era were notorious for having leaky fuel injector spiders which are located under the intake. The hoses crack and do two things, they won't hold pressure after you shut off the engine which causes hard starts and they dump fuel into the lifter valley which dilutes the oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.