Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to add a Holley Red electric fuel pump to my 69 Camaro mainly just for easier starting after periods of sitting. The red pump does not need a regulator and I want to use it with the existing mechanical pump. Will that work or do you need to remove the mechanical and go directly to the carb?

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I dont understand why you'd keep the mechanical pump unless you were going to use the electric as a feeder (and you use a lower power pump for that). That electric pump should be more than enough. Take off the mechanical and install a block-off plate.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
You need to remove, and block off the mechanical pump.

The red pump needs to be mounted as close tho the carb as possible.

The red pump can never be mounted correctly. You want your regulator as close to the carb as possible. You want an electric pump mounted as close to the tank as possible. The red pump has an internal regulator. Therefore, no matter where you mount it, it is the wrong place.

I don't like electric pumps. Especially the Holleys. The Holley pumps are very loud. You will hear them over the engine. If your voltage varies at all, your pressure will also. When running a Holley carb, this will throw off the floats and will cause flooding and/or poor overall operation.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
You can run it with your mechanical pump. I did it with a big block for quite some time. The valves in the mechanical pump are designed so fuel will "pump through" it. It acts like an accumulator for the fuel. That being said, if you are going for all out racing, remove the mech. pump, buy a high pressure/volume electric and a regulator. The red probably won't supply well enough and the mechanical will begin to act as a restriction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the very useful information from all.
I am going to the electric pump to kind of prime the carb at all times. My car is a Z11 69 camaro pace car convertible and I drive it once or twiced every 4-6 months. I am not going to race it. I want to have the fuel at the carb whenever I go to start it. Using the mechanical is a backup. I am really using the electric pump to save cranking on the starter to get the fuel up to the carb or having to prime the carb to start it after setting for 6 month.
I have not figured out any other way of having it dependable.
I hate to hear that the holley is very loud.
Holley has stated to locate the pump as close to the fuel tank as possible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
lluciano77 said:
You need to remove, and block off the mechanical pump.

The red pump needs to be mounted as close tho the carb as possible.

The red pump can never be mounted correctly. You want your regulator as close to the carb as possible. You want an electric pump mounted as close to the tank as possible. The red pump has an internal regulator. Therefore, no matter where you mount it, it is the wrong place.

I don't like electric pumps. Especially the Holleys. The Holley pumps are very loud. You will hear them over the engine. If your voltage varies at all, your pressure will also. When running a Holley carb, this will throw off the floats and will cause flooding and/or poor overall operation.

What are you saying...

Ive got a Holley Blue and I was told to mount it like this (and anything else could be fatal).

{Tank}==\Fuel Filter\===|Holley Blue Pump|==================<Regulator>====[Carb]

Please let me know if this is in any way incorrect,
Stroke

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I've always read to place the pump as close to the tank as possible for easier pumping and longer pump life.

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
If you drive it very rarely, take the air filter off and prime the carb a bit. Beats drilling holes, running wires, listening to a noisy electric pump. Not to mention, devaluing the car......just my opinion.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
StrokeofGenius said:
What are you saying...

Ive got a Holley Blue and I was told to mount it like this (and anything else could be fatal).

{Tank}==\Fuel Filter\===|Holley Blue Pump|==================<Regulator>====[Carb]

Please let me know if this is in any way incorrect,
Stroke
You have yours mounted correctly.

I am talking about the "Red' pump. They are internally regulated, unlike the "blue" pump that you have.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Do a search on electric fuel pumps here. I have written several responses on the correct way to install an electric pump. The responses above are correct, you want the pump as close to the tank/cell as possible and as low as possible. You want a filter between the cell and the pump.

Electric pumps are good at pushing fuel, not pulling it. This is the reason you want it close to the tank and gravity fed.

Yes, you "can" run the holley red and the mechanical, it is fairly common. Personally I don't really care for the holley "red" pump. If you are going to go through the trouble of installing the pump correctly, I would suggest getting a better pump, getting rid of the mechanical pump, and running a regulator.

You "MUST" also use a relay to power the pump (to prevent a fire hazzard).

lluciano77,
The red pump does not have a "regulator' it just has an output of ~7psi. It still works just like any other electric pump of that style. All electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull it. This is why even on factory cars they are mounted in or near the fuel tank. The red pump should still be mounted at the same location (as close and as low as possible to the fuel supply).

Royce

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
I've always read to place the pump as close to the tank as possible for easier pumping and longer pump life.
You want the pump as close to the tank as possible. The regulator should be as close to the carb as possible.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The holley red/blue pumps absolutely suck IMO for a driver. They are loud and you can actually feel the vibration through the car when you turn them on. Not to mention they dont last that long. Holley sells a Walbro pump(under their name of course) that is very quiet and rated for something like 2500 continuous run hours. I am running the high pressure version on my S-10 and you can not even hear the pump with the engine not running. I can hear the fuel pumping through the fuel rails it is so quiet. The low pressure version of this pump is designed for TBI and would require a return regulator and return line, but it is nice and quiet like a factory pump. The Summit part number is HLY-12-927. Of course you are going to have to pay more, but you will be much happier I think.

Chris

·
Registered
159 Posts
Run both mech and elec ,, it,s worth the horsepower loss ,,
Holly blue pumps seem to stop pumping when in city traffic with nose of car in steep angle position for a bit long,, the holley blue Goes to Goo,,..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts