Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there is a conversion kit to change a electric choke to a manual one? Or any help on doing it without one. The Carb is a Rochester off a 79 chevy 1/2 ton 4 x 4 with 350 and automatic tranny. Im having problems now thats its getting colder on keeping it running until it has warmed up considerably 3-5 min on the footfeet. I had a guy look at it and he said the choke was sticking, and to make things worse i am a total retard on Carbs and adjusting etc. A local shop has given me a 250 dollar estimate to go completely through the carb and possible could be more if secondarys are mucked up etc. I guess my next question is should i pony up the dough to rebuild and calibrate my old carb or buy a remanufactured holley, eldelbrock, etc. All help is apreciated? I think my current carb is 600cfm which is plenty and ive been quoted 200 to 250 for a holley with manual choke. thanks again

Ps also wanted to add the Carb guys is suppost to be one of the best in the business and gets alot of out of town business because of his expertise on Rochester.

·
Registered
71 Posts
choking

an electric choke mechanism is a coil which when cold holds the choke flap shut, as it heats up (due to the electric relay) it unwinds and thus opens the choke and often there is solenoid controlled by the same relay that richens the fuel mixture.
On a manual choke you simply have an arm that the choke cable attaches to which closes off the main air supply and thus pulls raw fuel into the carb.
i guess the question is how much for a Holley manual choke as opposed to getting your Rochester changed. If the Rochester guy is really good then he may 'tune' the Rochester to the engine better than an out of the box Holley whilst also fixing the choke problem.
Manual chokes are fine but you need to be pushing it in as the engine warms up whilst electric are normally a bit more forgiving.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
79 model Chevrolets also have a choke pulloff.......that can go bad and causes the problem you are having....

:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.