Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sbc with a CS1. The head gasket blew and flooded my oil with water. I changed the head gasket and am i the process flushing out the "milk". I am concerned that my new gasket didn't seal. WHen I rev the motor the coolant level raises in the radiator. I understand this is normal with a mechanical pump but I thought that electric pumps pretty much held a constant speed so level flucuation would be minimal. THanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you are running a 50/50 mix, you have to remember that pressure plays a big part of the system. For a water based system to work properly, it has to have pressure. You may be seeing pressure build up and that's whats causing the heaving in the rad.If you suspect a bad seal, keep a check on your oil level and to make sure you aren't getting water into your oil.

·
The Ultimate Lurker;)
113 Posts
I would believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, as with any electric motor the motor speed will be dictated by the power that is supplied to it(alomost like a rheostat on your dining room lights). When your at idle your alternator is producing power at a lower rate thus slowing your electric waterpump. Then as your engine RPM's increase so does your alternator output which in turn increases your speed on your electric WP until your electric motor reaches it's saturation point and stops increasing in speed....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.