Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to convert '53 chev truck wipers to electric. Cannot afford the big price of buying a kit so would like to do it on my own. Anyone have any ideas? the truck is 12 volt. I have a windshield motor just am stumped on how to hook up the linkage??

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
The big problem is that vacuum wipers self reverse while electric motors rotate continuously. The two options are to make a crank for the motor that will allow the wiper arms to rotate around the center pivot or mount the motor to the side and make a pivot (possibly from the original wiper motor) for the wiper arms that is connected to the motor by a short rod, turning the circle motion into a back and forth.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
This is very easy to do. I used an AMC mechanism and a Mazda motor with an aftermarket switch. Any Chrysler or AMC mechanism will be the easiest to install because they mount with a simple nut. Go to my web site to see how I did it on my '53 pickup and on my pro street 41. The advantage is that it lets you have normal wipers that operate in unison from left to right rather than opposite from the center out.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
[email][email protected][/email] said:
Center - that motor is identical to the VW!!
Interesting.... although its a a Mazda truck motor it carries a Ford part number. Bet most of the small car motors are similar though.

Centerline

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
The VW suggestion was a good one and one I'd forgotten about over the years (not too many junk Bugs around here anymore). The nice thing about them is all the motor,arms and mount hardware is mounted in a single compact unit.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
[email][email protected][/email] said:
It would appear that great minds think alike. Although they may take different routes the result is the same.

Here's the Chrysler/AMC unit installed.

Centerline

·
Registered
90 Posts
Windshield wiper conversion

Thanks Willis
Copied it for future reference. My Mercury has vacuume wipers and they don't work worth a damn because of the cam and having to buy a vacuume pump set-up is the last thing I want to have to fool with
Thanks again for a really well done article.
Charlie Smith

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
I wish I had this thread when I first bought my 54 Chevy pickup 2 years ago ... the FIRST thing I did when I bought my truck was to get rid of that old vacume joke of a wiper system! It was hilarious! Anyway, I bought the conversion kit for $160 and went that route.

No complaints, but I could've saved some bucks, eh?

Centerline -- I really enjoyed all the pictures at your site, bro'!

Willys36 -- nice job!

PS -- Here's how I got ALL the knobs on my dash to match.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you can find one, 54 and 55 first series big trucks were available with electric wipers. they are 6 volt, but you can use a voltage drop, or replace the motor with a later 12 volt one. they are a bolt in clear back to 47.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Try PM'ing Willis36 Direct..Don't know if the photos are still up on his journal as this thread is 2 years OLD..

He may be able to PM you the directions or Email photos.

Is it electrical you need to know?

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did that conversion on my '53 AD pickup. Used VW Bug wiper system and switch. Works like a champ. I'll take some pictures and post a how-to in my journal, hopefully by the week-end.

Spongebob forever, eh!
Having trouble finding pictures & how to. Have VW motor & 48 Chevy parts laid out but I am confused on how to fit everthing together & work right.
Please tell me how i can find these photos.

Thanks, Harley. [email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.