Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 66 Dodge Phoenix, same spec and body style as Plymouth Fury 3. I have recently had some electrical issues. Whilst driving, the battery seems to be losing charge, the stereo completely dies, turn signals become unresponsive, lights dim, horn stops working etc. The first time this happened, I went online to see if there had been any posts about this type of issue, and after reading several, I assumed the alternator had died. So I replaced this and the battery, and the car drove great for about 3 weeks. By the way, this is only a weekend cruiser, so when I say 3 weeks I mean 3 weekends. The same problem has resurfaced, so I can only guess the charge is being drained via another problem. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
One way to isolate an electrical drain is to pop out all the fuses and hang a couple 12vdc lite bulbs in parellel off the bat. to ground then pop in the fuses one at a time. The bulbs will dim when a circuit is drawing a heavey load like a short to ground but not enough to trip a fuse like something going on between firewall plugs as the post ntfday suggested.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Go thru all the grounds to see that they are good.. On a car of that vintage the grounds can be corroded causing all kinds of strange grief..

Sam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts