Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering using electromagnets as hood latches for my one piece fiberglass hood. Might solve some clearance and alignment problems for me. I could wire them so they are "hot" with the key on or through a separate switch. Does anyone have thoughts (pro or con) about this method of keeping the hood closed while driving? Not talking about overnight security, that is not an issue for me.

Thanks
Bud

·
Old(s) Fart
5,791 Posts
Are you talking about a mechanical latch with a solenoid release, or a mag latch that needs to be powered to hold? If the latter, the only ones I've seen are the ones on fire doors that allow the doors to close when power goes off. I'm not familiar with a similar product for 12V use, but I'm guessing you've found some or you wouldn't be asking the question. How much current do these take? Obviously, you only want them energized with the engine running, otherwise you'll likely drain the battery pretty quickly. The only other concern I have is would you ever be moving the car with the engine off (like on a trailer)? If so, then your hood won't be latched. Similarly, if the engine stalls out at speed, the mag latches could de-energize and the hood fly up, depending on how you have them wired. Spend a little time really thinking through the failure modes.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I would not do that.. Does not sound reliable to me..

Sam

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
They do make a mechanical magnetic lock, no electricity required. You physically move a set of magnets in and out of polarization, they work extremely well but the physical size might prohibit use for what you want to do.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Non electric magnets will hold, but eventually trying to open a fiberglass hood by overcoming the magnets would crack the hood. As for trusting an electro magnet to hold a hood closed while driving down the road, I'd never do so. Might be OK if the hood hinged in front, as releasing would simply pop up a little. But if it hinges in the back, I'd hate to see a bad connection lose power and have the hood against the windshield at 60 mph!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I'd never recommend a non-polarized magnet system....... in order for it to be strong enough to hold at speed..... you wouldn't be able to open it by hand.

A polarized system aligns the poles at north and south and the resulting magnetic force holds fast, some with 200 lbs of force, when you move a lever that physically moves the poles to all north (or all south) and the magnetic force repels each other pole and the force goes to almost nil and will allow you to remove the metal closure plate etc......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts