Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent episode of "Two Guys Garage" talked about electrostatic corrosion control, an electronic device that neutralized the chemical reaction that causes rust. Has anyone ever used one of these, and do they work? The only other information I have found on this was published by the manufacturer. It sounds good, in theory.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Two Guys Garage has advertised several things that are "gimmicks" including the Tornado air filter insert as well as the electronic rust preventative.

The following is from the FTC web site and is a ruling about one of the "Electronic Rust Prevention" companies:

RustEvader Corporation (a/k/a Rust Evader Corporation, d/b/a Rec Technologies)

The Commission issued an order making final an initial decision by an Administrative Law Judge in regard to RustEvader. The initial decision prohibited RustEvader from using the names "Rust Evader" or "Rust Buster" for a purported electronic corrosion-control device for automobiles that the Judge said is not effective in substantially reducing corrosion, despite the company's advertising campaign to the contrary. The Commission alleged that RustEvader made false claims about this product and about a demonstration and studies regarding its efficacy. The final order prohibits RustEvader from using the two brand names; misrepresenting the performance, efficacy, or attributes of any automotive product; and conditioning warranty coverage on the purchase of certain brand-named or trade-named products or services. The former president of the company is also required to pay consumer redress (see RustEvader Corporation, page 87).

That pretty much tells me this method of rust prevention doesn't really work. As for the Tornado... A fool and his money are soon parted.

Centerline
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com</A>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Centerline. I really suspected as much, but I was still curious. It stands to reason, that if it really worked as advertised, everyone would have one.

3,214 Posts
You have to understand that the show "Two Guys Garage" is paid to advertise those products. I think you are doing good to check with people that have no connection$$$$ to the busine$$. We are all taken in on some type of product at some time or another. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not made of money and need to keep from feeding these sharks as much as I can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Electrostatic Corrosion Control Rust Evader

This has got to me device, but without the scheme. I can not connect it. Prompt, please, where it is possible to find to it the scheme of connection. Or so tell what wire where to connect

·
Registered
760 Posts
it's kind of interesting...I read a post recently that talked about the old 6 volt positive common electrical systems, and how they didn't have as much rust...not sure if it's a myth or whatever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts