Hot Rod Forum banner

Emergency Brakes

490 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  David Richard
I've apparently pulled my floor mounted Lokar emergency brake handle too hard when setting the brakes on my '38 Chevy pickup street rod. Now I can't release the ebrakes. I called Lokar thinking they might have a suggestion but the tech help was no help. The truck has 11" Wilwood discs all around with a Ford 9". I believe the ebrake cables were made by Lokar also. Any suggestions on how to release the ebrakes?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
398 Posts
Just found this. If you turn the Star Wheel you should be able to release the brakes enough to get the disc off. Then reset them as per instructions. I would also make sure that the ebrake cables work smoothly in their outers. If all is okay try the brakes again

· 1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,237 Posts
Welp, I also made the mistake of installing a Lokar ebrake kit, and it does/did the exact same thing. The problem is in the design of the linkage and latch mechanism which is a very poor excuse for a parking brake. Manufactured in the big "C". Rather than risk getting caught miles away from home without proper tools or jacks to reach to the linkage under the floor I just disconnected the damn thing. The park position in my transmission is sufficient I suppose.

· Registered
242 Posts
I've apparently pulled my floor mounted Lokar emergency brake handle too hard when setting the brakes on my '38 Chevy pickup street rod. Now I can't release the ebrakes. I called Lokar thinking they might have a suggestion but the tech help was no help. The truck has 11" Wilwood discs all around with a Ford 9". I believe the ebrake cables were made by Lokar also. Any suggestions on how to release the ebrakes?
I've experienced the same thing. Nothing was broken just one notch too far. I just put a little slack in the cables

1 - 6 of 6 Posts