Hot Rod Forum banner

emission testing

1702 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Guy
At the present time, in my area, if you build a new street rod it will be titled as the year it is assembled. The problem is your required to past that year's emission standards. The question is can the average built small block, using a carb, pass as well as fuel injection. Injection is nice, but not as easy cheap to set up.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I think you should check the code more carefully. What you are talking about sounds more restrictive than California. I think the only way they can expect your rod to meet current emissions standards would be if you were building it on a self assembled vehicle title which would be dated by the year of inspection so if I built a t bucket on this type of title this year it would be titled as a 2002 powell. In Ohio I would not be expected to pass a tailpipe sniffer test and I truly doubt that you would be. Here in Ohio (california too I think) if you build a rod from a vehicle 79 or older you do not need to pass an emissions test, or at least not to the standards of 2002. I am building a 57 chevy which is way pre emissions. If I had to pass a sniffer test at 2002 standards my car would need catalytic converters, a computer, air pump (smog pump) an O2 sensor in the exhaust and I do not know what else. No one not even California (the most restrictive emissions state) requires my old car to have all of these things. I think the emmissions law was to be a revolving law allowing cars once 20 or 25 years old to be modified
See less See more
The law says all vehicles 1968 and newer have to be tested. They are only required to pass at the standard they were originally built at . 1979 vehicle uses 1979 standard. We can avoid the test by putting antique plates on our cars(25 years or older) , but that restricts you to parades, club meetings, etc.Not daily driver . If you build a street rod, you go out and buy a title from a destroyed car and put it to it. Not exacttly legal, but you do what you have too.My original question was can a motor that is built to be around 350hp or better have a chance of passing the test. It seems alot of people with late 60's to 70's muscle cars, that are built up, are just going ahead and getting the antique plates.
In California, all 1973 and older vehicles are smog exempt
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.