Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the key differences between a base/clear paint and an enamel based one? I hear that enamel paints tend to chip easily is there anyway that can be avoided and how can the durability of it be enhanced or prolonged? How long can i expect it to last until a new paint job is needed? (still in high school so an enamel based paint is the only kind i could afford) Thanks

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The finish you have is a one step direct gloss or single stage paint. These paints don't use a clearcoat therefor the color is at the serface. These paint jobs can last anywhere from 1 yr to 10 depending on how you take care of it and what its on. Single stage paint chips because its usually air dried and not cured in an oven and it doesn't have the added clear coat topcoat so the chips are more visable. They are also prone to fading and very prone to burn-through if you use a buffer to polish them if you don't know what you doing. These paints are usually pretty thin, but are good for quick jobs.

In short because I'm hating typing at the moment if you take care of it, it will look good for as long as you want it to. Or untill your next paintjob.

HK

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi ya rodder,Ive been using plain old generic farm tractor or rustolem enamel.i rarley every use primer or hardener.hardener makes the paint brittle.make sure ya use use a fast enamel thinner in cooler temputures It has a really good glossey shine and last longer and does not like those cars that have that suntan blister/scabs/paint flacking look of BC/CC after 6 plus years..replies welcome ..mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts