Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 Mustang and want to paint the engine bay to be close to the original color. I have read that I could use PPG DP90LF primer alone and it would be a good match but that stuff ain't exactly cheap. Are there any other primers that would work without a top coat and produce a close to factory color that would hold up well? I'm considering the Eastwood engine bay paint also.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nothing wrong with a rattle can. The prep for any paint is the same. Several vendors sell the proper color and finish (sheen) for the Mustang engine bay.

As with any finish getting the surface clean, rust and grease free, sanded and primed and ready for top coat determines the quality of finish. Putting paint on is easy, getting the surface ready is what makes for a good job or a superb job.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want something that will hold up and not have to touch it up very often.

I've been reading and I think the Eastwood is out. I've read that SPI epoxy primer does a good job. Does anybody know it the color will match close to factory. I don't think it would be much more expensive than rattle can and should hold up very well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just want something that will hold up and not have to touch it up very often.

I've been reading and I think the Eastwood is out. I've read that SPI epoxy primer does a good job. Does anybody know it the color will match close to factory. I don't think it would be much more expensive than rattle can and should hold up very well.
SPI epoxy is great but it is $100 a gallon of paint and $100 for activator. Good price for great paint but do you really need two gallons.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SPI epoxy is great but it is $100 a gallon of paint and $100 for activator. Good price for great paint but do you really need two gallons.
They sell it in quarts also but it will still cost close to $100 for the epoxy and activator. Have you ever saw the black epoxy on an engine bay and if so what did you think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts