Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am lookin to install an engine block heater in my 80 camaro i dont exactly know which ones are better. ive tried some that would let coolant run through it but no room in motor comp for it. i am now looking at the freeze plug ones but am worried if i will be able to do so while motor is in the car and i am a little worried about it leaking. should i be ?

any help would be great thank you

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If I were going to put a Engine Heater on a Hot Rod, I would buy a magnetic type and put it on the Oil Pan-something like this (so I could take it off):

Zerostart® 3400017 - Magnetic Heater | O'Reilly Auto Parts

If I wanted something more permanent, I would either use one of these:

Zerostart® 2202662 - Oil Pan Heater | O'Reilly Auto Parts

If I wanted to put one in the Freeze Plug hole, just install with Sealer and you are good to go-

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._-1&categoryRedirect=01372&pt=01372&ppt=C0076

One thing you should know-most all of these Heaters are of a convection type, (they are simply Heating Elements), so I would put a Timer on them (as they will eventually burn out if left on all of the time)-if you get up and leave for work, at say, 6:00 a.m., then set the Timer to start at 2 or 3 a.m.-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you wouldnt think as long as i used like shellac (spelling) i wouldnt have any leaking issues and what wuld be the pros to the magnetic just easy removal and are they strong enough to stay on while driving or is that a bad idea

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I wouldn't leave a magnetic type on the Car while driving, I would only use one if I were going to take it off before driving (which I plan to do)-

as for the Freeze Plug type, I sell Ag and Construction Equipment, and we use the Freeze Plug type all the time (as a matter of fact, I order all of our Equipment with them), so, my suggestion regarding a Timer comes from experience with those type of Heaters-choose one, install it correctly and forget it-

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
Lived in Alaska for 40 years, always used the circulating type, on a timer, on my older vehicles. When supplied OEM, they were freeze plug units. A little unsightly, but provide faster heat on cold mornings to thaw things out. They don't take that much room, but you do need heater hose to allow them to circulate.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
cord connections

It's best to have the cord connection under the hood. The one on my 7.3 ford diesel truck hangs out of the grille and yesterday thawing snow got the connection wet, tripped the GFCI and shut off the power, No start yesterday morning

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I just installed a 125 watt Proheat sump heater (Engine Heater for your vehicle. Proheat Products Inc., engine heater, engine heater systems, fluid reservoir, motor engine flexible pad heaters) on my little ISEKI diesel tractor as the 25 year old core plug unit went to ground - died of old age, tripped the circuit breaker a couple times before I checked it out. So far the new one has worked well.

I looked at the various Kat's heater on line reviews before I bought - and most don't do well.

With the Proheat, you do need to follow the instructions or, as some have had happen, they fall off:pain:

Dave W

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.