Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
markgrenier said:
Hey guys like I said Im old school 4 bolt main cast iron block and so on well my question is what is a LS block and what does LS stand for ???
The LS engines are the latest production version of the venerable SBC.

Their architecture differs greatly from the Gen I or II engines, virtually nothing interchanges.

The LS engines are a superior engine AFA power production from stock, production parts go- but cost more at this point, because they're not as readily available used and from salvage yards as the Gen I engine is.

This will change as time goes on; in the not-too-distant future, I'd expect the LS engines to take their rightful place at the top of the heap.

·
Registered
650 Posts
cobalt327 said:
The LS engines are the latest production version of the venerable SBC.

LS series engines are GM's modern overhead valve V8, it is not an upgrade of the Small block chevy, it is a completely fresh design by GM Powertrain engineers to fit all GM Chassis where a V8 is called for. Exceptionally strong bottom end(deep block skirts and crossbolted main caps), and a head with a very modern chamber and high velocity runners, allow the engine to produce fantastic HP/TQ and with the use of modern electronics, burn cleaner and more efficient than the SBC could ever hope to.
LS engines are not a direct bolt in to where other Brand V8s(Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds), but there is a huge aftermarket making swap kits to fit these motors into older cars.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,304 Posts
As with many of the abbreviations we use, they are versions of the GM RPO code. We call them LS engines because GM used option codes like LS1, LS3, LS6, and LS7. Confusingly they also used those RPOs to label 454s in muscle cars, but when we refer to an "LS" engine, we are referring to the engines which share basic architecture with the LS1. There are other "LS" type engines that don't use the LS prefix, like the LQ9 and LQ4 which are the , but since they share so much in common with the LS1, we often refer to them as an "LS" engine.

GM has an RPO (regular production option) for most of the things that go in your car. L-codes are engine related, G-codes are rear axle related, U-codes are radio-related, etc.

If you've ever heard of a GM muscle car referred to as a "COPO" it was because they included options that only GM execs could get. It stood for corporate office production option.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
curtis73 said:
As with many of the abbreviations we use, they are versions of the GM RPO code. We call them LS engines because GM used option codes like LS1, LS3, LS6, and LS7. Confusingly they also used those RPOs to label 454s in muscle cars, but when we refer to an "LS" engine, we are referring to the engines which share basic architecture with the LS1. There are other "LS" type engines that don't use the LS prefix, like the LQ9 and LQ4 which are the , but since they share so much in common with the LS1, we often refer to them as an "LS" engine.

GM has an RPO (regular production option) for most of the things that go in your car. L-codes are engine related, G-codes are rear axle related, U-codes are radio-related, etc.

If you've ever heard of a GM muscle car referred to as a "COPO" it was because they included options that only GM execs could get. It stood for corporate office production option.
Well said!

Is the second "O" in "COPO" stand for "option" or "order"?

·
Registered
650 Posts
cobalt327 said:
Well said!

Is the second "O" in "COPO" stand for "option" or "order"?
Order, and it wasnt for secret options that only GM exec's could get. It was for special orders out of the realm of normal dealer orders. If someone needed 100 red cars, they went thru COPO, if they need a bunch of cars for a rental fleet, they were COPO cars. Taxi cars, COPO. The performance orientated dealers, and their GM sales reps realized they could push thru some unique and powerful cars by using the COPO program. 427 Camaros Chevelles Novas, ZL-1 Camaro's, etc.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,304 Posts
Correct, I just didn't want to get that far into it. You're also right, its order, not option (brain fart).

COPO was also a way for homologation quotas to get met for race purposes. Hence why most COPO cars that we think of today are hot sleepers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.