Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group, I have an engine break-in question. I have a rebuilt Pontiac 326 with a new cam and flat tappet hydraulic lifters.
I've added the special Comp Cams lube to the cam and lifters for the cam break-in, and also the "break-in" motor oil.
My question is after the cam break in of 20 to 30 minutes at 2000 RPM and then 2500 rpm and then 2,000 RPM and then shut down, and then after draining that oil and changing the filter: My question is refilling the oil for the 500 - 1000 mile break in, should I use that same break in oil?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Yes you can, or substitute 1 or 2 qts.
I buy it by the case and that leaves 4 left over so I'll sub a quart for 4 changes of if it's a lease deal or something I do what the builder says.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Did you coat the lobes & lifter bottoms with moly paste ? don't hold the engine at any specific rpm for 20 minutes , vary the rpm from 1500-2500 rpm for 20 minutes , best if you could do it with the covers off to see if the pushrods are turning .Does your 326 have adjustable rockers or no ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wrote my post in a bit of future tense. I am right at the point of applying the Comp Cams break in lube to all of the cam lobes and then the lifters and finishing assembly. My 326 does not have the adjustable rockers.
After the 500-1000 mile break in period, is there any issue with just going with a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or equivalent? The reason I ask is because it wont have that added zinc and is it necessary after break in?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Absolutely necessary . The red slime that comp was supplying is junk . Isky rev lube is the type of product you want .I hope that they valve stem heights were set by whoever did the heads if you don't know , ask , could save you troubles trying to start up as well as possible engine damage..you must run an oil , including additives, that puts you in the 1200 ppm of zddp for the life of the engine .

·
True Hotrodder
1,354 Posts
Personally I would give it one good time period before switching to synthetic oil. Whether you use a break-in oil for this period is your choice. I don't like the stuff, but I am in the minority around here on that issue.

Reactions: hotrodjohn71

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
I also like Isky Rev Lube. Plus I think you are well advised to keep either a ZDDP additive with every oil change or the use of classic car blended oil, or oil for older Harley Davidsons all of which keep the ZDDP and EP additive ratio up. This isn’t a modern engine, they are not designed from the gear style oil pump to by modern standards the wide internal clearances for modern thin oils. Synthetics are OK but keep the bottom viscosity at 10w or higher.

Bogie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2old2fast, it looks like Isky has a couple different rev lubes. One is RL-1 and another is RL-48.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts