Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my starter siezed from mud getting inside of it, so i when to advance auto to get a new one. i also got some wires and bolts.
they gave me the wrong bolts(metric) and they looked the same so like an idiot i trusted them. they would go in a 1/4 inch and bind in the threads, and they were a tight fit in the holes.
so i took them back and got the right ones and got it back together and while torqueing the bolts the startercase shatters.
i was getting mad at this time but i controled myself and just took it back and explained it to them in simple terms so they could understand. and they replaced it and then got it back together and started it perfectly a few times and it started to grind so bad it wouldnt turn the engine. by this time im getting pretty ticked so i got another and a starterbrace.

and i found the reason it was grinding. not only did it shatter the starter case, it also shattered the engine block. im looking for blood now. im going to try to work something out with them, like i get a new engine and i wont hurt anybody.

all that work and money for nothing. all because of ignorant simpletons that cannot look up parts on a computer.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not trying to defend the auto store but i think something else may have cracked thre block just TQ the bolts would have not done that they would have eather broke or striped first.

mike

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
As you bought the part and mounted it yourself you will probably find they, Advance Auto, are not responsible any damage incurred by you. Did you check the new starter against the old
and was it an exchange for a rebuilt one ?

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
A good welder should be able to save the block after your screw up.

Troy

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no im not going to do that.
im a welder and you cant hardly weld cast iron.
you have to heat it too 600F and use a nickle rod.
and i dont have the pieces. im going to pull the motor and put one in that im getting from the parts place.
ill post pics when i get back of the damage.(the motor not the employee)

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
that's why they make shims and braces man. You said in a previous thread that you've gone through something like 10 starters this year. You think advance is going to give you a new motor when they find out you've cooked 10 starters? I think the first 9 should have been your clue that something wasn't right.

K:rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they told me they arent giving me a new motor, but i got there head office number and we are going to find out. i have shims you ***. i know how to put a starter on. i fixed the problem and i had to fix it more. "if it aint broke dont fix it"
i just had to have new starter bolts didnt i.

i cant believe your taking the parts places side.

i hate you all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
look in gallery

i want to cry when i think about tearing my blazer apart.
i put every piece of it together from other trucks, there is nothing on it i havent worked on. and now just one bolt from having it perfect. i take better care of it than i do myself.

i know im whining, but if there ever is a time for it, its now.
send money.....sniff...:(

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I looked it your gallery alright. Is that a rust trail or is it just my eyes? Might have been a casting informity that started to crack and then WHOOPS cracked block. IMO it's possible that that could have caused it. I'm sitting on a 350 4-bolt with the same problem. Castings are not 100% perfect and if you couple that with the amount of torque a starter "induces" to 2 bolts on the block and repeated (I'm taking killers word on the 10 starters in a year deal) starter changes, then sorry something's gunna break. I hate to say it, but getting mad about it won't help, and neither will ticking off those same people who help you.

I see the healing process has begun! LOL:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah there real helpful alright, i dont know what i would do without them. i know i would not have my engine together if it wasnt for them. they help me so much, i dont know what im going to do with myself.

---------------------SARCASM------------------------------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts