Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, I need help finding the best engine enamel out there that wears good and most of all,TEMP. RESISTENCE. I have a 1969 firebird 400.It seems like within a few months the paint In the middle ports of the exhaust start to discolor. and help please.?:pain:

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
Even the factory paint discolors on the exhaust side of the heads.
Dupli-color sell an engine paint that has ceramic in it, Supposed to be good to about 500 degrees. I bought mine at one of the chain autopart stores, got it in black hoping it would hide the discoloration. Havent built the motor yet to say if its good stuff or not.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
This has been discussed many, many, many, many, many times on the board. Here are my favorites.

The absolute best finish is powder coating. Takes a little more effort 'cause you need to have the block and heads boiled, take them to the coaters, convince them to not coat vital engine internal stuff (I 'help' them mask my parts!) reboil and water blast the parts (the coaters thoroughly sand blast the parts so they need to be cleaned again), then machine the engine.

A close second is to paint them with the regular automotive three stage - prime/base/clear catalyzed urethane paint you use on the body of the car. Stands up to heat, chemicals and general abuse as well or better than any other finish I have tried, and no other paint finish can approach the quality look.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Single stage automotive polyutethane catalyzed enamel. I used PPG's Concept, dries to a rock and great shine. They can mix it to any color, but it's a bit pricey.

Nothing from a rattle can is going to hold up for very long, I don't care what the label says.

Vince

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.