Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a good bit of sludge under the rocker covers on my 04 f-150 5.3. I was contemplating running an engine flush through it and switching to synthetic. Are these flushes safe? 48K miles on it now. wanted to do the same in my wifes 01 maxima with 78k miles on it.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Yes, but I might try just the synthetic first. Its much more capable of dissolving junk and it might cure your sludge issues without the slight issues that some say happen with flushes.

I've done a few flushes with no problems, but some will tell you not to do it.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Just put in synthetic and go. I have changed many vehicles with 1000 to 150,000 miles on them with no ill effects. Some of them actually stopped smoking from the tailpipes. Mobil 1 for 20 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DaSouthWon said:
I noticed a good bit of sludge under the rocker covers on my 04 f-150 5.3. I was contemplating running an engine flush through it and switching to synthetic. Are these flushes safe? 48K miles on it now. wanted to do the same in my wifes 01 maxima with 78k miles on it.
Ford dosen't make 5.3 they have a 5.4 go to any oil change place they have engine flush machine that just doesn't force all the sludge back into the pan and engine hope this helps

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
If you have sludge under the rocker covers, either your brand of oil was not up to par, the PCV System is not working or someone just didn't service the truck as they should have.

Ditto on the chemical flush, it could block the pickup screen. Ask about a professional flush and it's benefits.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
What does the sludge look like, white/off white somewhat foamy, or the black gunk?
There is a difference in how to eliminate it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
KULTULZ said:
If you have sludge under the rocker covers, either your brand of oil was not up to par, the PCV System is not working or someone just didn't service the truck as they should have.

Your PVC is not working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts