Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, hello there! My name is David blanco, as you might have noticed I am new on this forum and have found that there is a lot of information that will be useful on what to do and how to do it regarding my first project car (English is not my main language, so please bear with me and have patience).

The question is, as briefly described in the Thread title: What engine would fit inside a 1946-47 Ford Super Deluxe Sedan and which one has the best HP and torque potential at low and mid range among these options:

- 351W
- Ford 460 big block (I think it is also called the 385).

I am planning on making this car an street rod with the sleeper element, fuel consumption is not an issue since I live in Venezuela and gas is absurdly cheap, You can fill a 70 Lts fuel tank with 95 octane unleaded gas for 0.05 cents (that is not a typo) but I would like to use it to travel some long distances without having to refuel every 15 minutes :D, so the better mileage it gets the better but it can be sacrificed in favor of better performance out of the engine (I could adapt an extra fuel tank if the need arises to extent autonomy), I am aiming for something along the lines of 350-500 HP (if possible)

Also bear in mind, that while gas is ridiculously cheap here, the parts aren't and besides that they are really dificult to come by, so while it might be possible to import a pair of say, edelbrock RPM cams, it will be troublesome because there are strict currency exchange controls.

To sum it up: I would like advice on which engine I should pick based on potential performance, availability of aftermarket parts for improving performance, ease of instalation on the car and reliability.

Before anyone asks: Fixing the flathead was my first option, but after reading a lot on this forums I have come to the conclusion that it is going to be mightly expensive for a somewhat anemic (in comparison) engine.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Given the situation that you have there I would look for a complete late model Ford pickup or possiblity of a Lincoln. there must be at least one in your country in the wrecking yard. That will be your parts bin for your build. Late model 4.6 or 5.4 will run hard with a hot chip and you will have most of what you need with the need to import very little in the way of parts. You will need to narrow the rear end and have the driveshaft cut most likely but that machine work can be locally sourced.

That would be my thoughts as that is what we did here 50 years ago before the advent of all the off the shelf parts we have today.

Sam

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
parts car

like onemoretime said is very good info.. u can use a lot of stuff off of them for a build.. how about a 302 stroker to 348. they are really nice engines.. i'll assume u want to stay ford ??? with that said chebby motors here are a lot cheaper to do then fords.. a nice 350 stroked to 383 is very nice.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The big Ford engine will give you all sorts of low to midrange power and torque. If those are still plentiful in your area, they're a great engine! Might be a bit more expensive for performance parts than a 351 Windsor though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I'll start checking if there are viable cars to be used a part bins. I am unfamiliar with the term "Hot chip", do you mean a custom mapped EFI system?
Any specific models and years I should look for the car that will be the main supplier of parts? By late model do you mean the Triton family? I would love to use one of those, but things with EFI are... Difficult in here (again, lack of parts, it is really hard to fin someone with an OBD scanner, new mapping for the ECU will be complicated) sorry, not trying to be stubborn or anything, those are actually great advice but unfortunately are not applicable here.
So, an stroker 302 seems like the best option. Will start more research on the subject ASAP, thanks for the advice! If you have any other suggestion/tips it would be appreciated :D

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Hot chipping does refer to a custom mapped EFI but if you do not have the access Oh well then it will be a carbed engine. Off hand I cannot remember just when Ford went to injection. Of course you could use a GM vehicle as a doner but I am sticking with the 351 ford or the 350 chev. Your situation reminds me of 50 years ago when we could not get all the aftermarket parts we have now. Doing a stroker motor may be a bit more difficult to do there as there are custom machine works here but maybe not there that can do that sort of thing and you are back to the issue of importing parts.

Instructive article:

No Dollars, no cars . Venezuela's auto industry in a free fall | Ya Libnan

Given the current situation there is going to be some difficulty in doing the project..

Sam

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice and solid looking car Dave.
I would suggest staying away from the big block Ford. I had a 390 I was going to install in my car with a C6. The C6 would not fit in the tunnel and the space from the radiator to the cowl was not sufficient.
Not sure on the steering setup you will be running so I can not comment on that.
I did add a 3" ressesed firewall because I could and I did opt for the small block Ford and a C4.

400 HP from a 351W or 351C is very reachable.
If you are referring to a 351C you may still have clearance issues

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
351W, I was thinking on leaving the factory steering if that could be done, if not then I would appreciate any input on that topic :D

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
With a rear sump pan the steering will work. Most likely you will need to split the wishbones for clearance on the trans. Ford Ranger rear end with parallel leaf springs works fine..

Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice and solid looking car Dave.
I would suggest staying away from the big block Ford. I had a 390 I was going to install in my car with a C6. The C6 would not fit in the tunnel and the space from the radiator to the cowl was not sufficient.
Not sure on the steering setup you will be running so I can not comment on that.
I did add a 3" ressesed firewall because I could and I did opt for the small block Ford and a C4.

400 HP from a 351W or 351C is very reachable.
If you are referring to a 351C you may still have clearance issues
Alright, 351W it is! (Unless I can't find one) thanks everyone for the advice, I will keep posting updates ASAP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts