Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 327 Chevy in a streetrod that will start and run fine for a few minutes and then will just quit. I checked the coil and found that it does not put out juice. However, if I turn the ignition key to the off position and then to the start position it will start. It will run for a few minutes and sometimes for an hour or two before it quits.
It only seems to quit when at idle. I have put in a new ignition switch and have also replaced my coil.
Could this be my starter solenoid?
Any help you guys can give me would really help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doc,

I've got a drop in Mallory electronic unit. The wiring harness is a Ron Francis kit made for a 34 Ford sedan.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Have the module checked for thermal defects..OR just replace it.

If hat isn't it, check the pickup sensor inside the distributor .

DOUBLE check all your wring against your installation diagram.

determine if a ballast resistor is required for module support or not, and if it is actually still installed in the system.

DOC :pimp:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doc,

The system isn't getting fire from the coil until I turn the ignition switch completely off and then restart. Once I turn the ignition switch completely off, it will start.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here,

This would take power off the module, all a bit of cool down time, and start again for another few minutes of heat..then die..

The only other possibility is you have the coil power hooked to a timer circuit like a courtesy lamp egress timer..rare , but I Guess it can happen..on a new rewire..

DID you check to see that you have power at the coil on the + side AFTER IT dies ? if not your losing power, if so your losing trigger (module) which must trigger to fire a High Tension spark from the coil..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Then your losing the module (trigger) OR it's connection between the distributer and the coil -

The only other possibility is the coil is defective.Assuming you had the problem when you replaced the coil..I'd put that lower on my list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doc,

Do you think this problem could be the solenoid on my starter? Because once I turn the ignition switch completely off it will start.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Nope..

Once the car has started the solenoid has done it's job..EVEN with secondary ignition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doc,

I appreciate your help and will take a look at my Mallory drop-in and even replace it as I have an extra.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

That's where I'd start..

You probably need only change the module, but if you have a whole spare ...Why not? can't hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts