Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set all my rockers, but i still get a knocking/ticking sound. i cant manually hand turn my engine so I just bumped the engine till I got my TDC's and then tightened them just to the point when i wiggle the rocker it moves but has drag. the knocking still has the same sound it did when my rockers were off.
Anyone got any idea's?
thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
theturk said:
I have set all my rockers, but i still get a knocking/ticking sound. i cant manually hand turn my engine so I just bumped the engine till I got my TDC's and then tightened them just to the point when i wiggle the rocker it moves but has drag. the knocking still has the same sound it did when my rockers were off.
Anyone got any idea's?
thanks
What do you mean by "knocking still has the same sound it did when my rockers were off."? How do you get engine noise with the rockers off? Do you mean when they were not adjusted properly?
BTW, there is a huge difference between a ticking and a knocking noise. The more accurately you can describe a condition, the more helpful responses you will get in return.
Doublevision gave you some things to consider. At this point, I can't think of anything else other than, if you mean ticking, the lifters may not actually be adjusted properly if you are at zero lash.
Terry

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Broken valve spring, stuck or bent valve, pulled rocker arm stud, rocker arm push rod seat worn through, worn out pivot ball, wrist pin issues, piston skirt issues, valve seat loose, improper parts selection, bad valve train geometry...

The way you described how you adjusted the valve is not how it is done.

I suggest you start by properly adjusting the valves- AFTER examining the parts that can be seen for any damage or wear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow

ok, sorry guys im new to this. Ive believe I have hydrolic. The sound is more like a ticking. about 2 weeks ago one of my push rods came loose. it looked like it was whiddled down over years. It gave a ticking sound. I put a new push rod in, but I cant hand turn my engine, it just wont turn. So the only way I could figure to set my valve lash was to bump the engine until I got TDC and then adjust. I did that but the ticking didnt go away. So I had a buddy, who know way more about cars than I do, take a look at my lash and he said they are all adjusted right. But the odd thing is I would think if a lifter was collapsed I would be able to tell with a misfire sound or something, but other than the ticking it sounds fine.

hope this helps
sorry for the lack of info before guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.