Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching for engine information and came across this forum. It will be quickly obvious how little I know about engines. What I'm searching for is what makes one engine last longer than another?
I'd like a low compression/87 octane, carbureted 350 or 383. It's going in a '79 Jeep that is 90% on-road and only comes out of the garage during the summer. Power really isn't the goal. A crate 350 making 260 hp would be way more than I would ever need. If maintenance and compression are the same, would the shorter stroke engine outlast the stroker? Would a higher quality build, using more expensive parts be more durable? It's essentially a Sunday driver and will probably never see 5,000 RPM. And, if after reading this you understand what I'm wanting, but I'm not asking the right questions, let me know. Oh, and what I'm picturing when I say longevity or durability is my 2004 Chevy has 175,000 miles and won't be replaced anytime soon.
Thanks for any input.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
start with a fresh build with decent parts and good machining. use a high quality oil, bearings, and roller valve train. run a well tuned EFI fuel system.

Those are some of the key reasons why todays engines last 3X as long as engines from the early 80's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Somewhere I had read about the roller valve train but had forgotten. Guess I should have asked what engine parts wear out or fail over time.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
We see those engines with 20 years of service that are still running well and all tha tis needed is regular services and the owners do not abuse their cars with over reving and lack of service..

Sam

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
I was searching for engine information and came across this forum. It will be quickly obvious how little I know about engines. What I'm searching for is what makes one engine last longer than another?
I'd like a low compression/87 octane, carbureted 350 or 383. It's going in a '79 Jeep that is 90% on-road and only comes out of the garage during the summer. Power really isn't the goal. A crate 350 making 260 hp would be way more than I would ever need. If maintenance and compression are the same, would the shorter stroke engine outlast the stroker? Would a higher quality build, using more expensive parts be more durable? It's essentially a Sunday driver and will probably never see 5,000 RPM. And, if after reading this you understand what I'm wanting, but I'm not asking the right questions, let me know. Oh, and what I'm picturing when I say longevity or durability is my 2004 Chevy has 175,000 miles and won't be replaced anytime soon.
Thanks for any input.
Attention to oil & filter changes, engine temperature management which leads to cooling system maintenance, mixture ratios, tune ups, warming them up thoroughly pays huge dividends with extended life.

Bogie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts