1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Kat's Magnum Magnetic
Heater to the side of my oil pan on my
1972 Nova SS.

It can get quite cold here in the midwest.

Actually installed it last night and checked it this morning. The oil was warm to the
touch.

My question: Can I leave this puppy plugged in all the time during are cold
seasons or will it eventially break down
the propertys in my oil.

Using Penzoil 10W30.

Thank's for any input.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought it would be alright to leave it plugged in.
But wasn't sure. I did install it below the oil
level on the botom of the oil pan.

Thank's for the quick response!!

Cheer's

18-FEVR

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Used to plug in my block heater in at 7 pm every evening and leave it until 6 next morning all winter.... no problems....

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
i personally would not use a magnetic heater. the problem i see with them is that the metallic junk that is suspended in the oil or near the magnet will stick to the steel at magnet (especially if you drive with it sticking on their) then when you go and take the heater off guess whats suddenly in your oil??? i would personally rather have the filter catch the junk as its made than introduce a bunch all at once. that can splash around.. i would go for the stick on ones or the ones that fit in your freeze plugs. btw you can get outlets for the heaters that turn on at a certain temp, that way you don't need to get up early if its cold, and you don't waist electricity by using it when its warm out...

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
It's magnetic dude?

:p

·
809 Posts
killerformula said:
couldn't you just put it on the bottom of your radiator and let it warm the coolant up?
The factory installs them in the block coolant jacket, the warm block keeps the oil warm (not hot, just warm). should work fine for any iron block as long as you find a spot with some clearance.

·
Administrator
18,430 Posts
1st.....You can plug it in all night, but you are just wasting power. Put a timer on it so it comes on a couple opf hours before you need it.

2nd.....Don't like the magnetic idea either.

3rd.......Why the heck are you driving a 72 SS Nova in the winter?

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
I did not know it was that cold down that way for a heater,
99% of the folks up here in Mich. do not use them and we are at least 20* lower than MO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
poncho62 said:
1st.....You can plug it in all night, but you are just wasting power. Put a timer on it so it comes on a couple opf hours before you need it.

2nd.....Don't like the magnetic idea either.

3rd.......Why the heck are you driving a 72 SS Nova in the winter?

Hey poncho

What don't you like about the magnetic idea ?

Why not drive it in the winter as long as it's a clear
sunny day with no precip in sight.

·
Administrator
18,430 Posts
18-FEVR said:
Hey poncho

What don't you like about the magnetic idea ?

Why not drive it in the winter as long as it's a clear
sunny day with no precip in sight.
Like Old School said, if it falls off, the contaminets are in the oil..........probably not likely though.

About the winter comment..............I have been looking for a decent unrusted Nova for a while now, can't find one. If I had one, she wouldn't be seeing any snow.............just jealous I guess, cus you have an SS.................like gold around here.
It's also a lot colder here, I guess.

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
yeah it gets pretty cold here in wi... and it can be nice one day and snowing the next... thats wi for ya.. :mad:

about the magnet thing, ever see them magnets that stick to your oil filter? only difference is you would be catching the junk while its in your sump instead of the filter. if you never take the thing off its ok i guess, it would be kinda like the magnets in trannys (sticks and automatics). but if for some reason it has to come off (maybe to make it easier to work on something else) that crud is left their. besides, they don't look that good at car shows, get a coolant warming one jeggs sells em, they are pretty popular around here, all the autoparts stores got em, they are 600 watt and the cord comes of so it still looks pretty :thumbup: . of course it requires you remove a freeze plug..

-Leo-

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
poncho62 said:
Like Old School said, if it falls off, the contaminets are in the oil..........probably not likely though.

About the winter comment..............I have been looking for a decent unrusted Nova for a while now, can't find one. If I had one, she wouldn't be seeing any snow.............just jealous I guess, cus you have an SS.................like gold around here.

Hey poncho 62:

Man I hear ya. My Nova will never see rain or snow.
I would imagine you get plenty of snow up there.

If you are looking for a Nova SS check out this site.

www.hotrodhotline.com

They had a 72 Nova SS for sale a couple of days ago.
That's where I bought my Nova in October.

poncho62 said:

I hear ya man. My Nova will never see rain or snow.
I imagine you get quite a bit of snow up where your at.

If you are looking for a Nova check out this site.

www.hotrodhotline.com

They had a 72 SS for sale there a couple of days ago.
That's where I bought my Nova in October.

Sorry about the double post .

I didn't think the 1st one went threw

Man it sucks when your getting that old.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
poncho62 said:

Hey Poncho

I hear ya ! My Nova will never see rain or snow.
I imagine you get alot more snow up there.

If you are looking for a Nova
check out this site

www.hotrodhotline.com

They had a real nice 72 SS for sale on there 2-3 days ago.
This is where I bought my Nova in
October.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A note on engine heaters; Just because your car will start without one doen't mean it isn't a good idea. roughly 90% of all the engine wear takes palce during warmup while all the different alloys are expanding at different rates. The warmer you have your engine when you start it, the less wear it has to endure. I have had several trucks that would start at 35 below but I still plugged tham in for a coiuple hours first.

·
809 Posts
The best thing about them, IMHO, is that your heater starts working maybe after 2 minutes of running instead of 8 or 10. Comfort on those cold winter commutes is nice. If on the other hand it will never see snow, take the heater out completely...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts