Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - Hope all is well,

Hope you guys could give me an idea on how much power this setup would have. Are the parts they used correct?

I told the machine shop that I wanted some performance but mainly reliability. This is what they did.

I picked up a '92 350 from a Chevy G-20 van.

bored .30

Pistons: Power Seal H345NP

Rings: Hastings 139

Bearing: Clevite CB-663 P-10

Oil pump: Melling M-55

Timing chain: Cloyes C-3023K

Lifters: Power Seal HT-817

Cam: Clevite 229-1713 (specs from the box)

duration @ .050 int .223 - exh .223
advertised duration int .290 - exh .290
lope spread 114
lash hydraulic
valve lift int .447 - exh .447
cam lift int .298 - exh .298

Gasket set: Felpro KS-2666 260-1269

Parts plus the machine and build cost $900 (long block)

Heads: 12558060 Cast Iron Vortec Cylinder Head Assembly

Intake: Edelbrock performer vortec 2116 (is this good or would you recommend a different one)

Carb : Edelbrock performer 1406 (same as above)

Ignition: MSD-8474

Headers: Hedman 68600 shorty header

Please, let me know if I'm missing anything.

How much horsepower do you think this will make?

Thanks.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
Everything lookes pretty good to me, The only thing that I might recommend is a little bigger cam, and if you do that a little bigger intake manifold. As the motor sits, I would guess around 330-350 hp. Another thing to consider is using a set of 1.6 rockers.

Adam

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Remember, with the Vortecs, anything to big cam wise and you different springs and things. I dont like the 114 degree of lobe seperation on the cam for hot street use either. More like a blower setup. Hg

·
Registered
385 Posts
Tighten the lobes up to 112 1.6 rockers on intake and if you make it a true 10:1 compression you will be dam near 400 hp i know this because i have built and dynoed about a hundred of these combos.

mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

This is my first rebuild and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

As for the cam and intake, which one would perform best? I don't want to put this thing together, then be disappointed with the performance.

Is the carb the correct size? Would a 650cfm Holley be any better?

Thanks again........

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I would recommend a performer RPM or RPM airgap intake and a comp XE268H cam. I had this setup in a car of mine, and it ran really well. I also think a 650 carb is a good idea if you are going to move up on the cam and intake, with the current setup, I think a smaller one would be fine. This will only work if you get bigger springs though (the Z28's will work), unless you already have the bigger springs. To do that, you will have to get the spring seats machined out if you havent already done that. If you cant do that, then I would stick with the cam you have and get a set of 1.6 rockers along with an RPM intake.

Good luck
Adam

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting Close

This is what I came up with.....

Carb: Edelbrock or Holley 650 (which do you guys perfer?)
Intake: Edelbrock Performer RPM

Are the Vortec heads worth looking for at a junkyard or would new be the way to go?

Which modifications are nessessary to fit 1.6 rockers.

I checked out the specs on the heads on GMpartsdepot.com, it indicates that the max lift is .475. The cam has .447 lift with a 1.5 rocker, if I go to 1.6 will the stock springs be good enough or would I have to upgrade? Lastly, is there any springs at .500 or .510 that would fit in the stock location without machining?

Thanks for the replies, they really help.......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope you guys could answer this question.

What will the lift on this cam be with 1.6 rockers? The lift on intake and exhaust is .447 with a 1.5. Also, in order to fit a spring that handles .500 lift on a vortec head, does the head have to be machined or it there a manufacturer that makes one that fits without machining?

Thanks for your replies.

Jose

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, with open exhaust, Desktop Dyno says 386 HP @ 5500 and 401 ft-lbs @ 4500. This is with my Vortec head flow file, 700 cfm carb, and 10:1 comp. 132 HP and 346 ft-lbs at 2000 RPM.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
The camshaft you have listed is the old 151 327-350 horsepower grind.

Jonathanks built a 350 with about the same setup as you have, and it made 370 horsepower with an Edelbrock performer intake. His cam was the "tweaked" version of this cam, which had the lsa tightened up.

As Mike stated, 400 horses should be easy enough with a little more modern profile and enough compression.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I go with 1.6 rockers, would the heads need to be modified? Do you think the stock spring would be good enough, if now please recommend which ones would work.

Lastly, which carb do you think would perform best....Holley 650 CFM Four Barrel Part #: 0-80555C, Edelbrock 650 cfm AVS Carburetor, Barry Grant Speed Demon 650.

Really apreciate the replies, they help out alot.

Thanks

Jose

1 - 15 of 15 Posts