Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys does anyone know if a broken motor mount would cause an engine to over rev. I was at a rod run a few weeks back and as i turned left and entered the main highway the throttle stuck almost like the accelerator pedal went all the way to the floor. the only thing i did when i made the turn was accelerated a little to catch up to the next car but i didnt press the pedal down that far. some people thought the transmission did it and some think the motor mount broke. any ideas from anyone

·
Registered
624 Posts
There were a number of GM cars in the late 60's that suffered from broken motor mounts. As the engine would torque, the broken mount would allow the side of the engine to rise. That rise in turn pulled the throttle linkage causing the car to accelerate more. It would release if you pushed in the clutch (stickshift), or moved the trannie to neutral (autos). It would also release eventually as the car accelerated because the engine would drop as the car caught up to speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i forgot say what kind of car i have. i have a 1950 ford with a 305 motor. one other problem that occurred is that i no longer have the drive gear in my transmission. when i tried stopping the car i placed the gear shift into neutral and back into drive which may have ruined my trans. sounds like that was my over reving problem the broken mount. never had anything happen like that before it was like the car was out of control

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
i forgot say what kind of car i have. i have a 1950 ford with a 305 motor. one other problem that occurred is that i no longer have the drive gear in my transmission. when i tried stopping the car i placed the gear shift into neutral and back into drive which may have ruined my trans. sounds like that was my over reving problem the broken mount. never had anything happen like that before it was like the car was out of control
Throttle linkages made from solid rods will do exactly what you describe if a motor mount is bad. Throttle cables tend to be much more forgiving than solid linkage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.