Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 Z28 with the stock 305. I am doing a complete engine rebuild and i need some help on optomizing performance. I am putting in a power plus in take manifold, a proform distributor, crane cams energizer cam with new lifters, and the other little odds and ends i am getting in the rebuild kit. I am getting it bored .30 over also. Right now all that it has is a holley 650 double pumper carb, msd helicore wire, and bosch platinum dual prong spark plugs. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
297 Posts
The energizer cams are pretty mild, so, if that is what you are intending to build, with all the other parts that you mentioned, the motor should have more low end grunt. Every thing is right on, but what kind of car is it going into? Tranny? Rear Gears?

Remember to build the car as a package, for whatever rpm range that you want to be in, and you will be a happy camper.

Sorry, missed the 84 z28 part. But remeber to build it as a package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
engine rebuild

Wel you see the problem is money. Right now i am only running with about 1000 bucks. I cant really afford all the other stuff. The tranny is th-700r4 and the gears in the bakc are stock (not sure what they are). I am just trying to make it economical and at the same time a little bit faster. ya know?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I agree, the Bosch plugs are a waste & I too like Autolite plugs.
If your getting the engine rebuilt...1000.00 wont get you very far.
Id dump the 650 carb to...way more than a 305 needs & youll be better off with vacum secondarys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well actually it is. all the stuff that i had mentioned earlier is in my price range maybe a little bit more. the only thing is the carb. i am looking to see how my money is coming along. i was thinking about an edelbrock 600 cfm with a manual choke.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
What is the purpose of the rebuild? Is your current engine shot?

If it is drivable, I would start saving for a 350 or something.

If you can't find one, and your desperate for a needed rebuild, then do the 305 stock and as cheap as possible (without sacrificing quality) and keep saving for a 350.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Build as you can afford to make a HP change. I like roller engines...roller cam...roller rockers!! Good heads with BIG valves...headers and a decent intake...I don't like running a Holley on the street...too may adjustments...I like running an Edelbrock carb on the street!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.