Hot Rod Forum banner
61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is what I did with the stuff. I took off my heads and mixed it with 5w30 in a oil squirter and ran this across each of my cylinders at maxium peak and lowest peak, continueing the to hand crank my engine. Letting it sit for 12 hours, repeated this for two days. And then let it sit for two days more. When I cranked it over by hand after 4 days, my torque readings were 4 ft/lbs less than before and each of my pistons had a smooth glide. This took alot of time and its not a can of magic additive like it claims to be, to get it where it counts you need to do some surgery by the amount of additives in this can is freaky. Long story short it worked but not in the way it says it does. :thumbup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Engine restore

We used it in a beat up old Lincoln 250 Amp welder and it worked well. Without adding the Restore we would go through a quart a day ,add Restore and only burn a 1/4 or so. I am going to try it in my old briggs lawnmower that ran without an air filter for 3 years.
Clint

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
It works, but it sludges up your engine... if you use it the engine is probably old and tired, so a some sludge isn't going to kill it.

It's a better of 2 evils I guess... low compression/burning a lot of oil, or improving the above and getting some sludge in that tired old poweplant. It's all in an effort to keep the inevitable trip to the machine shop (or junkyard) away for just a little bit longer.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
I must confess that this is one of the funniest treads I have ever read. engine restore............couple of cases of the stuff and one could turn a whole junk yard full of cars into street worthy rides............ maybe put some real big wheels on em

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your sarcastic conjecture flies in the face of the real-world evidence presented by several members here.

And maybe you just didn't get that it is generally realized that:

No its not going to rebuild your engine but I think it can buy you some time.
Unless you want to take some real-world measurements and share some experience with this product where it didn't make any difference, where it didn't raise compression numbers a little, where it didn't help the engine live on for a little longer while blowing a little less smoke, let us know. Back up your comments.

Until you or anyone else delivers something remotely close to real tech and proof that this stuff is snake oil, respectfully take your drivel elsewhere.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
It works, but it sludges up your engine... if you use it the engine is probably old and tired, so a some sludge isn't going to kill it.

It's a better of 2 evils I guess... low compression/burning a lot of oil, or improving the above and getting some sludge in that tired old poweplant. It's all in an effort to keep the inevitable trip to the machine shop (or junkyard) away for just a little bit longer.
I ran it for about 60,000 miles in my old LeSabre, it didn't sludge mine up. If anything it was a little cleaner inside and I wasn't always real timely with my oil changes towards the end. BTW the LeSabre still lives with 203,000 plus miles on it, the guy I gave it to is going to use it for his winter beater. He only lives a few miles from his business and most of the drive is on gravel so the soft struts and loose front end don't worry him. If the rest of the car was as good as the engine I'd still be driving it.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
JaredI said:
Until you or anyone else delivers something remotely close to real tech and proof that this stuff is snake oil, respectfully take your drivel elsewhere.
And that kind of comment has no place on this forum. Each member is entitled to their own views and opinions. We either agree or disagree with them, we DO NOT belittle them.

Vince

·
Registered
13 Posts
302 Z28 said:
Each member is entitled to their own views and opinions. We either agree or disagree with them, we DO NOT belittle them.
Then why is is OK for others to come in here and say things like Pepi did a few posts up?

People on this forum have presented anecdotal evidence and results from scientific(ish) experiments.

That comment, apart from appearing ignorant of the evidence, basically calls us all liars, or at best just stupid. I do not enjoy being called a liar, or stupid, and I'm betting the others here that have shared their experience don't care to be considered either of those things either.

Forgive me for feeling a little belittled myself.

And just to clarify, when I said "take your drivel elsewhere" I wasn't referring to another forum, just out of the thread. I wouldn't suggest that someone the entire forum...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I found this thread after googling "engine restore". As reluctant as I have always been toward using ANY of the additives that are hyped and marketed as miracle cure-alls that are "scientifically proven" and "guaranteed" to give you HP and MPG, I have seen Restore work. Many years ago, a friend had a 2.5L S-10 that smoked so bad it looked like something out of a james bond movie. He added a can of restore, and after about a week it cut the smoke way back. No, it didn't eliminate it completely, but it was at least to the point where the cops weren't following him around and the sierra club stopped protesting him in front of his house :) Didn't ruin the motor, either.

A couple years later a guy I worked with that drove a 2.8 S-blazer started complaining about oil consumption. It ran fine but he was going through a quart a day! He was about to give up and just trade it in for something else. I suggested he try restore as a last resort. Well I don't know exactly how much it helped but I do know he was very pleased with it and no longer talked about getting rid of it! I worked there for another year after that and he was still driving it at least that long.

Well now I'm in a situation where I'm going to give it a try. I just bought my wife a Suburban with 192K miles, and although it runs fine it's going through oil like crazy. I can barely keep up with it! Seems like every time she goes to get groceries it's a quart low. And there ain't no puddles in the driveway. My fear is if I'm away from home for any length of time, I can't count on her to check it as often as necessary and eventually she'll run it dry. Besides, oil's not cheap any more. It wasn't that long ago that you could get the store brand for $0.80/quart, now I can get it for twice that if there's a sale!

So I'll keep you guys posted. I'm not going to check compression, not gonna put it on a dyno, just going to see if I have to add oil less frequently. I figure if it saves me 5 quarts then it has paid for itself, and at the rate its headed it'll probably go through 15-20 quarts in the next 3K miles!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had a beater half a year ago that had a lot of blowby, when I pulled off the oil fill cap with the engine running you could see the hot air blasting out. It didn't smoke or burn oil. After reading this thread I tried restore, it didn't help anything at all. It still had the same amount of blowby until I sold it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
99 A4

I know my car doesn't belong on this forum but I found this thread from searching about Engine Restore.

I have 129k miles on a 2.8 V6 and it smokes a lot, I think it's been driven pretty hard. Fortunately it has almost no valve noise and everything seems to be in pretty good shape except the piston walls or rings or whatever is allowing the loss in compression.

My car has been in the shop for a while having 1st gear and a selector fork replaced on my transmission (yeah I was surprised to have such a big failure in a manual transmisisson too). Anyway, I've been all over the internet researching this stuff and like a few of you I'm generally very opposed to any additives also.

I'm changing my oil this week and I'm gonna try a can of the restore and my friend is putting a portion of a can in an 15HP Kohler Commercial engine so I'll post my results as they come. Also, I'm using high mileage Mobil 1 synthetic and that has helped with the smoke a bit.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've tried it several times over the years and can't say I saw any change at all. The only thing like this that I ever saw work was a oil leak stop product. After about 500 miles it solved a leaky cam seal problem on a 3.5 chrysler. However it softened the seals so much that they failed completely anyway.
JMO

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Old Post

2Yr Old post still going strong. Restore must do something right. LOL!
I've used it in many engines from my 1939 Ford/Ferguson 9N tractor to my newest vehicle. The 9N tractor reqiured non detergent oil which is impossible to find so I started using detergent oil & it started smoking soon after. So I tried Restore and it stopped smoking. I've used it in my engines for at least 15yrs. I have found that if you add it to the oil and immediatly run the engine up to Operating Temp. Then let the Eng. cool & not use it for a week or 2 it works amazingly better. Why? The only reason I can think of is it adhears & penetrates the cylinder walls scratches more deeply. The 1st time I tried this with the 9N I let it sit for about 4 weeks after adding the blue goo. Damn thing hasn't smoked or used oil since. I haven't notice any gumming or sludge in my engines. They seem cleaner from less blowby. I say if it's a high mileage tired ride try it. If it doesn't work try a Rering kit.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
SSedan64, if you need some non-detergent oil, I think most Fred's stores have some 40w on the shelf. They also have 30w, but it's high-detergent (rated SL), but the 40w at the stores where I work is all rated SA.

I suspect it's made by Warren Oil Co., the makers of Coastal products, but I can't be sure. I've been using the SL 30w in my vehicles for a few years now with no problems. Warren's site shows that they make ND 30w oil also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes you can pour something from a can and replace worn iron and bearing material to provide for longer engine life. ????????????? If it does do anything its a bandaid for a gunshot. hello? think about what its supposed to be doing. Waste of money.

61 - 80 of 133 Posts