Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is FYI - (I can't find the post asking for this help), so generally speaking, for those who don't know (I did not), a common cause of modern engines failing to start (even when it cranks well) is that battery voltage drops below some threshold (say less that 10.5 vdc) when cranking. Electronic Computer Units (the brains) require a certain voltage to trigger all the necessary parts to synchronize and successfully start an engine.
My recently acquired 2005 Escape 3.0L started giving sluggish start problems; the analog parts (starter motor and fuel pump) worked well, but apparently the electronics (crank sensors, timing sensors, injectors, ECU, coils, etc.) somewhere had low-voltage issue. I know this because I tested for common problems and replaced parts that could not be determined at fault. I finally (and easily) monitored the voltage-drop during crank and figured the drop of about 2 VDC was a problem. I then looked and saw the battery was of improper (too small CCA). Once battery was replaced with the specified size, the same voltage-drop test showed over 12 VDC during crank and engine starts with no coaxing or delays.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts