Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Big Block Z28
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice. I removed the 350 LT1 from my 70 1/2 Z28 and replaced it with a big block. I have no intention of getting rid of the 350 (it came with the car when I bought it off the showroom floor in 1970.) It has aluminum heads (the original cast iron heads are in a box.) and the engine is on a stand. Does anyone have any opinions on whaat I should do to protect it during long term storage? It will be in the garage and I live in the northeast where we have cold and snow in the winter time.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i have a cart i can put two motors on and it keeps them up off the concrete which draws moisture.i cover them and now and then i may sray some wd-40 on them or silicone spray and don't have any trouble.having them on a cart you can move them easially.regular engine carts are not hard to make and they are pretty cheap too.check jegs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wd-40 and the jumbo rolls of "saran wrap". I then built a dolly that I can set the engine on so it is at a low center of gravity and easy to roll around.

·
It just takes time and money
225 Posts
camarochas,
First thing , pull the water jacket plugs and drain any water/antifreeze in the block, Pull the plugs, give a squirt of oil, and put the plugs back in. Any bare metal give a shot of wd-40. Enclose the motor with a big black garbage bag and tie the ends up. Try not to let the motor be in the sun during the summer, it will probably cause condensation.
AngliaBob

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
WD-40 is NOT the rust preventer everyone thinks it is. It will leave a yellow gummy substance behind after the carrier evaporates. Marvel Air Tool oil has the proper rust inhibitors in it you need. If it can keep air tools from rusting up it will surely protect your engine. I would pull the plugs and give each cylinder a liberal amount of Marvel Air Tool oil. Turn it over a few times by hand with the plugs out. Put the plugs back in. Do not wrap the engine in any kind of plastic to seal it. All you will do is create a place for moisture to condense if you do that. GM, Ford and Chrysler do not wrap their crate engines in plastec. My Fastburn arrived in a wooden crate wrapped in rust preventing paper that looked like Kraft paper, no plastic. The engine is fine in your garage on the stand. If it does not have a carb or intake on it you need to seal the openings with duct tape. Do the same for the exhaust ports. You will of course have to purge the engine of all this oil when you return it to service.

Vince

·
Big Block Z28
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips,guys. I do have the engine on a cart and the intake is sealed. Tonight I'll take care of the rest of the suggestions. Thanks, again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts