Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to remove and reinstall an engine for a customer on a 2009 Camry. The engine I’m removing is locked up so it’s trash, so I’ll be removing it and removing the good engine from a wrecked 2009 Camry, and then installing the good engine in the Camry that isn’t wreaked. What is a good price to charge this customer? It’s mostly all labor, I’m just not sure of what to charge for all the work.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,749 Posts
How much do you make an hour? How much does it cost you to provide a place to do the work? How much does it cost you for incidentals (hoses, coolant, oil, etc)? How much does it cost you for electricity to do this work (lights, air compressor, etc)? How much profit do you want to make over and above your costs? If this is a real business (as opposed to someone doing this on the side) then you need to consider taxes, business license costs, disposal costs, insurance, etc, etc. You're not a charity.

The other thing you really need to consider is what is the cost of the post-work BS factor? No matter how good a job you do or how well you know this person, people will come back a week later with some BS problem that will be your fault. You changed the engine and now the window doesn't go up or down. Fix it. Etc, etc. This is why I stopped doing jobs on the side.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The other problem is that it's a 2009 engine replacing a 2009 engine.......

So it's almost like a waste anyways. Just my opinion. How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
People bring me stuff like this all the time, because nobody else around me wants to touch it.
9 hours for each motor. One of them you don't have to put back!
If they can find somebody to do it for less, either match the price, or let it go.
I get $90 per HR. Don't forget an extra $125 for oil, coolant, and stuff...

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
I just turned down an engine swap on a Mercedes. Mainly because no matter how well it turns out, something about it is going to get into your pocket - it's like clockwork. There's a bolt that has to be replaced or there's a gasket or there's a bolt that snaps off when the other 16 almost fell out, etc, etc. Whatever you charge when you're done with it - it won't be enough to cover the headaches. I did an R&R ages ago on an IROC Camaro. Pulled the 350 and completely rebuilt it. Car went back together except for one electrical connector for the water temp that broke and I bought a new replacement. 9-10 months later the car is out in New Mexico somewhere and the ignition module gave up the ghost. Can you believe this person tried to sue me for the repairs, tow and motel stay?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts