Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company I work for has a 99' Crown Vic for sale, but I have been told by our shop superintendent that it needs an engine. It runs, but has a bad knock at start-up; and he flat out told me that the oil was not changed often and it will need an engine soon. The balance of the car is pretty solid and only has 97k on the odometer. Anyway, I offered our CFO $1,500 for it considering it will need an engine.

I know I could just find another Crown Vic with a 4.6 liter as a donor car, or maybe try something different :thumbup:

Has anyone swapped out a higher performance engine in a late model Crown Vic (i.e. Mustang or other crate engine)? If so, what are the pitfalls? Can the computer be reprogrammed as with OBDII Camaro, etc., or would I need a custom chip? I'm just brainstorming here, so any input will be appreciated. Thanks, Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Without knowing the specifics of the vehicle I cant say anything for sure. But i dont see why a 4.6 from a GT mustang or even from a cobra wouldn't fit in there.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
A novel idea....

how about rebuilding the engine that's in it??? Just pull it out...disassemble it...the brngs will need changed and the crank may need turned then reassemble the now rebuilt old engine...no messing with a different computer or motor??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had 3 panthers from 98-03

The 4.6 in the 99-03 crown victoria is the same that is in the Mustang gt for the same years. The minor differences would be the intake plenum point to the passenger's side (rather than the drivers like in the crown vics) and the air intake that follows. Also the exhaust headers are different, but it's the same block if you get your self a used mustang. Also there have been many motor swaps done on those vics. Here's my favorite:

Quick Crown Vic

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Might as well plan on doing a rebuild on the tranny while you're at it.

OT- not to be a spoil sport, but isn't that quite a bit o' cabbage for a '99 Vic w/a tired mill?

I do like those full framed FoMoCo's, though. Had one in the family as a DD for years. Dependable and comfortable Mileage was nothing special. But otherwise a good car.

·
World Famous VF-14
468 Posts
00 or 01 was the first years for the performance improved heads lotta folks refer to them as P.I. heads , uses a different intake. timing chains are not that much of an issues. Check over at Crownvic.net

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like I said, I've had 3 panthers of that generation, never had a timing chain problem though. I now have an 01 ex CHP k9 car (police interceptor) and swapped the intake manifold for the PI one just a little while back because the old one cracked where the rear driver's side intake manifold bolt was torqued down too tight by the ******* who worked on it before i bought it and caused the intake manifold to crack right at a coolant passage next to that intake manifold bolt. Watch out for that. That's more of an issue than others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.