Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I took a 74 Chrysler Newport with a 400 on a road trip. With very strict discipline on acceleration and braking I coaxed a 20 mile per gallon. I had a good tune, kept my foot out of the carburetor, and limited my idling. It was miserable. What's the point of a big block car and the sounds of the duals and 4 barrels kicking in? The next tank I eased up, got off the freeway and had some fun. The mpg dropped to 10 to 12, not terrible, just more fun. The in town stop and go traffic put me down to 8 to 10 mpg. Love your car for what it is. You can get good mpg but it's more fun to drive doing a occasional limited burn out. I consider the little cars to be coffins on wheels. They may in fact be safer, but a bigger vehicle is going to absorb more damage.
Had a 74 Torino that got rear ended at stop light from someone doing about 20-30mph a couple years ago. It was a little honda or something that got entire totaled (everyone was ok), but my torino had absolutely 0 damage, practically had to drive off the smashed honda. Unfortunately someone t-boned it a year later at the rear axle and it was totaled but still held up like a tank, loved that thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If I was smarter I'll figure whether or not I'm confident in this working before I start pulling things apart, which I'll do my best, and i'll be no worse off. I don't doubt that in the end this can work (knock on wood) but will I finish it in time and within budget? Stay tuned

·
Registered
762 Posts
If I was smarter I'll figure whether or not I'm confident in this working before I start pulling things apart, which I'll do my best, and i'll be no worse off. I don't doubt that in the end this can work (knock on wood) but will I finish it in time and within budget? Stay tuned
Make sure you find a modern Hemi forum where you can get specialized help for the swap. I am not a Chrysler guy, so I cannot recommend any forum, but I could never have finished my '70 Impala LS swap without help from the LS1Tech forum!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Make sure you find a modern Hemi forum where you can get specialized help for the swap. I am not a Chrysler guy, so I cannot recommend any forum, but I could never have finished my '70 Impala LS swap without help from the LS1Tech forum!

Yes indeed, I already posted on one I found. These next couple days will be research, research, research.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Haha already finding some serious issues about about adapting the charger's trans in my car, glad I'm looking into it. Again, got this charger for a STEAL, might be worth selling it and then I could practically do an ls swap for free. I'll probably be all over the place with ideas/planning through this.

·
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
1,863 Posts
I don't think 8-10 mpg is anywhere near what you should be getting from that 390. Even if you have 4.10s in the back and a huge cam, you have a tuning issue. You're either way behind on spark or that Holley is dumping way too much fuel. You should be able to get 15 easy for the cost of a tune-up.

I had a mostly stock Caddy 500 in a 66 Bonneville with 3.08s and it got 18mpg. That same engine I swapped into a 78 C30 with 4.10s and it got 16mpg.

Holleys are also not known for their efficiency. I'm sure your RPM is a squarebore? If so you're a bit limited. A Qjet would likely be superb for your needs, but you can't adapt spreadbore to a squarebore carb with any kind of benefit.
My dad had a 68 Galaxie 500 that got consistently 18 mpg in total stock configuration with a 390 automatic. I'd be looking at carburetor jetting personally. Something is definitely amiss. You might look at a smaller Holley or Edelbrock. I definitely prefer a spreadbore carburetor for the smaller primaries, but Edelbrocks are also quite tunable. My buddy is running a 600 cfm Edelbrock on a.030 overbore 454 that I built the engine and carb for him in a 67 Camaro. It doesn't starve for fuel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
My dad had a 68 Galaxie 500 that got consistently 18 mpg in total stock configuration with a 390 automatic. I'd be looking at carburetor jetting personally. Something is definitely amiss. You might look at a smaller Holley or Edelbrock. I definitely prefer a spreadbore carburetor for the smaller primaries, but Edelbrocks are also quite tunable. My buddy is running a 600 cfm Edelbrock on a.030 overbore 454 that I built the engine and carb for him in a 67 Camaro. It doesn't starve for fuel.
I've certainly devoted a lot of time to carb tuning and such. Think it's running mid-upper 60's jets for the mains? Even if i could go down a couple sizes I doubt that would net much fuel economy, plus 10mpg has been the norm throughout many changes with this motor.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Sell the charger spending as little additional cash as possible. Make some cash.

This started out with a good running car that was reliable but got bad mileage.
It has turned into a potential hemi swap with a budget 1/3 to 1/4 whats realistic.

If I wanted a old looking car with modern car (30+) mileage. I would channel a old body over a modern fwd unibody with the same wheelbase and track width.

But even that large and potentially complicated undertaking is not mileage based. It would be more handling, braking, and so on based with the mileage boost as a bonus.

Sell the charger. Run the FE engine in the Galaxy. Once your out of school and have a garage then you can consider a engine swap.

Having a big car and a small truck or vice versa is recommended. It gives you backup when something unexpected happens so your not totally screwed looking for parts in a hurry and paying to much for those parts as a result.

If I were you I would buy a cheap 90's pickup like a ranger or s10. 4 cylinder, 5 speed, 2wd. 30+ mileage(and cheap insurance) all day long and can still hold the occasional engine block. A turnkey driver can be had for $1000 to $2000 depending on your area and will allow you to just drive the Galaxy enjoying it as is.

·
Registered
15,337 Posts

I built a lot of FE’s in my life and never saw anything close to 18mpg from them. But then again I lived mostly in hilly to mountainous terrain and built them mostly as performance engines. About the closest to 18mpg was my 61 Starliner with a hypo 352 and was living in Detroit at the time for a year and a half. Out in the country on a flat highway at cruise it could squeeze 13 to 15 if you were willing to sweat blood being a really smooth and legal operator. When I got back to California I pulled the 352 to replace it with a 390 which optioned later in the 61 model year.

Bogie

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Follow my advice about the wiring harness and you just might make it! Use the Chrysler rear axle as well if you can so you have the gearing for the engine and trans. I just looked that up... it's an IRS, but mounts with a cradle. Using it might be a bit much work! It can be done, maybe replace the springs with coil over shocks, but won't be easy. Probably just need to get a Ford live axle (what you call a "solid" rear axle like the Galaxie has now) with as close to the gearing in the Charger as possible. A little more or less won't really be noticeable, but I'd go a little more if you have a choice (a little lower) due to the Galaxie being just a little more aerodynamic than a brick (like my Rambler wagon). Motor and trans mounts will be an issue, but shouldn't be bad... if you can weld or have a friend who can.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here are some realistic changes you could make.

First add an O2 sensor in the exhaust with a guage that lets you see what is actually happening when you change/adjust things.

Then upgrade your ignition with something like a Pertronix

Then put an overdrive transmission in the car.

You will retain the originality and have a more enjoyable car to drive..........and gas mileage should improve. Depending on how much work you can do yourself, you might get by for $2000

Changing engines will get you into a money pit and car will sit a lot while problems get worked out. Just upgrading the trans will give a lower first gear and a higher cruising gear. Win/Win

·
Registered
432 Posts
If the charger runs and drives, make that your daily driver, park the galaxy. Then figure out what you want to do.

Charger gets better gas mileage anyway.

Just a young old guy thinking out loud

41 - 52 of 52 Posts