Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may sound simple to some of you 'old hands'- i just want to avoid the problems you may have encountered.maybe i can benefit from your busted knuckles. i want to drop a chevy 350 into my '53 bel air. tell me how. will i have adequate firewall clearance?, do my fresh air intakes have to go? i have a 700r4 i'd like to use. should i clip the frame? that would improve steering&handling i would think. can i use my '53 r/end? how about springs? any advice or 'vignettes' would help.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
It's a fairly common swap. Mounts will have to be made...or, I am sure there are mount kits available. I am not sure, but isnt a 53 a closed driveshaft rear end...If so, you will have to swap in a different rear. If not, your driveshaft will have to modified to fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i assumed it would be fairly simple. mounts are available, but i'm leaning toward the 'camaro clip' method, as 1)i wouldn't need mounts,2)improved suspension,brakes, etc. any thoughts on this method?

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
I put a Nova clip under my 51 Ford Pickup...........couldn't be happier withn it.........................might be the way you want to go. Depends to on your welding/fabrication skills.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
poncho62- I did a buick/'48 ford panel truck sub several yrs ago. couldn't agree more! realized the rear axle would work& that the d/shaft was perfect length! gave me about 8" clearance& the stance was awesome. Another one i let get away....anyway,i have a nova clip spotted for $100-think i'll just pounce on it. wow

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, I work at a hotrod shop and we install the camaro subframes often. If there's not alot of room in front of the front wheels you need to go with the 1967-69 camaro or firebird or 1968-74 nova units as they have the steeringboxes & arms etc behind the wheels whereas later 70's subframes have them infront. Parts are available both stock and aftermarket including dropped spindles & tubular A-arms if you wish to upgrade so I would definately recommend it. Note that the position of the 2 frame sections when they are welded together will determine both the front ride height and wheelbase so take your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mmetalman-definetely critical points. fortunately, my son has a frame machine, so we should be able to lock it in place fairly easily. he has some guys that are eager to do this for me when they're not too busy. my ford panel was done by a guy older than dirt with very crude tools, but he could sure measure&weld!! (by the way, i'm slightly younger than dirt.) wow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts