Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping a 4.6 ford into a 1974, Maverick?
Motor Mounts and tranny?
Or use a 302 instead, less work but alot heavier.
Some got some advice?
Thanks,
Cheffer

·
Registered
27 Posts
From my perspective, it gets down to what you want and why. If your intention is to put a 460 label on the fender so that everyone knows you have the baddest motor, then put it in there. If you just want to have a lot of power for the street, I would build a strong small block. The big motor weighs a lot more and there are lots of negative considerations around excess weight(and size) in the front of the car. You can easily get 300 to 400 hp out of a very streetable small block without and the project will cost you a lot less than messing with big block parts (they are all more costly). If this is your first engine swap, smaller and lighter is better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well there sure is a lot of differance between a 4.6 and a 460. anyway, i have a 351w in my 71 grabber. header problems, and shock tower removal. 302 will fit perfect. thanks and good luck

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
engine swap into maverick

Go with the 302/ 5.0; the biggest bang for the buck, and was also a factory installation, so its a bolt in with the right engine mounts etc.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
lonestarjim said:
I got it all done but the engine looks to low and viberates really bad. Can anyone help me?

You probably have a 5.0 and not a 302. They have different crankshafts and require different balanced flexplates and harmonic dampers. The 302 and 5.0 use the same motor and transmission mounts.

A 5.0 has a 50 oz balance.

A 302 has a 28 oz balance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts