Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a stock 1964 rambler american 220 im swapping a v6 amc motor out and want to put a small block chevy in it but dont know what needs to be altered to the car like the mount rear stuff like that also looking for some one to make me a custom cowl hood for it

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey,
your best bet would to be of course get some small block chevy mounts and find a cheap 10-bolt...for now anyway :thumbup: hopefully find a parts car with all the parts like the engine tranny rear and drive shaft..it would make life sooooo much easier!!

sorry i couldnt help very much...im not a mechanic by any means! :pain:

thanks,
kyle :pimp:

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
You would have to make mounts of course, use a Chevy tranny. I understand that your wiper motor might interfere with the Chevy distributer............................Hemmigremmie has a SB in his Gremlin. Should be a similar swap.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,847 Posts
Okay, the SBC is "popular", so no point in being different. If you don't have an engine already look into getting an AMC V-8. Not many AMCs in the area? Look under the hoods of Jeep Wagoneers and big Cherokees -- every one had an AMC 360 through 1991 (71-74 could have a 401, but they are hard to find). The tranny would be a GM TH400 or Chrysler 727, but both had AMC unique cases and 4x4 xfer case. The trans can be converted to 2WD by using the output shaft and tail housing from a standard GM or Chrysler version of the trans (internals are all the same), but requires tearing tranny apart.

If you insist on the SBC, use the mounts from any narrow body GM (Nova, F-body) -- the plates that bolt to the engine anyway. Use mid 60s truck cushions (rubber mounts) that have a single stud on the bottom. You could use an AMC V-8 crossmember from a later American (66-69) or V-8 any Gremlin or Hornet, but they are hard to find (Javelin and big car won't fit). You'll have to make "perches" that go between the stock six crossmember and cushions if you don't use an AMC V-8 crossmember. I would use 2"x3" square tubing. Drill and bolt a 6"-8" section to the cushion then lower the engine in place. You should be able to drill up from the original cushion mount holes into the tubing. Well, mark it from underneath then pull and drill. Use at least 1/8" wall (10 gauge) tubing and tap the holes for a bolt. Use thread lock compound and a lock washer so you can bolt on from underneath. Getting a nut in the tubing is a real PITA!! I know, the first one I did I used nuts, won't do that again!!

If the V-8 is a mild build and you're not using really big or sticky tires the AMC Model 15 rear axle will hold up okay for many years. Tires will break traction and spin before you tear anything up. If the tires are over 8" wide or "street slicks", forget it!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.