Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reciently my motor has started tapping and I took it to a shop, they said it had a stick lifter or something like that (had to do with the lifter.).

Yesterday when my truck wouldn't start I popped the air cleaner off to check if my choke was engaged. I looked and noticed 1 of the screws that holds the chock assembly (butterfly thing) on the shaft was missing:pain: . This is a brand new carburetor (about a month old) and all the screws where there when I put it on the motor.

What type of damage am I looking at having, it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the motor.

Thanks for the help,
D200Dodge

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
If it is that screw in there it can do a lot of damage.

I once had a small bead of braze fall into one on my engines. It rattled around in one cylinder for a couple of days. Then quit making noise. About two days later it starts making noise again. Different cylinder! By the time I got the heads off this engine. That bead of braze had damaged two pistons (crushed the top ring lands down). and finally got hung up in an exhaust seat. Bent the valve and pushrod.

·
Administrator
18,471 Posts
Can't see how that piece of braze got from one cylinder to the other............enlighten me, please.

I figure, it had to be 2 pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Id bring each of the cylinders on that side to TDC by hand, then either (or both) use a magnent and a vacuum through the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Nope one piece! It evidently blew back into the intake manifold and then made its way to the next cylinder.

I actually saw the bead before it went down the carb. I was brazing something on the workbench and used air pressure to clean the bench when finished. The Anglia was near, with the air filters off the stacks. As fate would have that little ball (a little larger than a Daisy BB) somehow ended up in the intake!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts