Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've got ticking sound from my Chevy 350 when the engine warms up. It's only really noticeable when accelerating. It isn't extremely loud, but i notice it over the normal valve train sound.
Instantly, I thought valve lash, but all appears to be okay when checked cold.
I did previously have an exhaust leak from pin holes in the header collectors, where the primarys join which we had to float some braise into to fill as couldn't get a welding tourch in to fill.
It does sound similar, but ide, expect the ticking to be present from cold if it was an exhaust leak ?

The motor is a built 357 with reto fit roller cam & roller rockers + the usual hop.up goodies.

Also I have noticed that the plugs on cylinders 7 & 8 cylinder are sooting up , but all others are burning perfectly. I don't know if this could be related or a separate issue ?

If anyone has any.thoughts or suggestions, they would be very welcome.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I once had a ticking that I couldn't find. Adjusted the valves several times, changed exhaust gaskets but the tick was still there. Wasn't until the cheapo chrome crank pulley broke that I found the tick. Seems there were cracks between the bolt holes and the pulley would flex causing the ticking (until it broke off). Just one thing to check and eliminate.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had mech fuel pump that sounded like a knock when going bad. Also bought a vortec 350 that it sounded like exhaust but turned out to be the front cam bearing.

It's only really noticeable when accelerating. It isn't extremely loud, but i notice it over the normal valve train sound.
Are you sure it's not in the drivetrain then?

Cam bearing vid

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys , sorry for slow response, had to put stuff on hold with work.
So I had a good look at the car when I did an oil change . I found the rear two intake bolts had worked slightly loose , but more likely a cause was a small crack & pinhole in one of the header primaries. This was only visible when I reved the motor & caught sight of a brief flicker of exhaust flame from a certain angle. Will hopefully weld it up over the weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts