Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what size engine came in the 1974 plymouth valiant 4 door hardtop? i found one for sale, and it's a clean little car, body perfect for restoration project, but i was unable to look under the hood until i can contact the owner. any info? and thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Take a look at the VIN tag on the dash - you can see it from outside the car, through the windshield. The 5th character should be a letter, and that'll tell you what engine the car came from the factory with. You can look up that letter code in a Chilton or Haynes manual at the local library. All Mopars from about 1969 on were coded this way. Of course if somebody did an engine swap, all bets are off.

Just for reference, most Dart/Valiants in '74 came with a 318 V-8. True, a lot of the 4 door models came with the 225 slant 6, but the majority were V-8s.

I'm curious as to why you want to hot rod a 4 door. There are still lots of 2 doors out there for reasonable prices.

EDIT: I just found a Mopar VIN decoder online. If you can get the VIN number like I described above, you can type it in at the wedsite below and it will decode it for you...

http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-vin-decoder.php

1 - 6 of 6 Posts