Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 dodge reliant, this may sound like a no brainer ,but what would cause a engine to cease up when the oil is up to the full mark, the water coolant is full ,when you turn the key all you hear is the starter trying to turn it over, you hear the starter ingage then nothing the engine does not turn at all.
Any help would be appreciated thank you .
P.S the starter has been replaced.

·
Registered
167 Posts
First put a breaker bar and socket on the crankshaft bolt and try to turn the engine over that way. Removing the plugs first would help too. Go from there. You might only have a starter that has a jammed bendix drive. It might be jammed into the flywheel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
try the breaker bar 85 vette mentioned. Before you tear it down check for a belt driven device being locked up. I saw a locked up alternator cause a guy to change 2 batteries and a starter before he figured it out. I would think a starter would turn through a locked up alternator but his wouldnt. If the starter is jammed usually you can turn it backwards with the breaker bar a little to get it to pop out.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
frozen engine

I too would recommend trying to turn it over by hand with a breaker bar, before tearing into it. It could be that the selinoid has gone out on your starter.

Or that the starter itself has gone bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts